Why become a member? ×

Finding the perfect double bass? (Bryant, Jay Haide, Upton) (£5,500) Limit.

SevenSeas

Good call Floyd man ! ( Ben was the guy that had this huge smile - right ? ...great musician and produced that fantastic singing sound on his bass ).

Andrew , if you get the chance to have a look at Ben's bass then do . A trip to the Royal College in London will be a lot cheaper than flying out to the USA - you could even meet up with FLoyd ( you may need to buy him a drink or two if this works out for you ! ) :D

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1379942277' post='2218469']
Ubassman and I was at the Paul ellison masterclass few months back and one of the students is selling their bass... He was playing the Reinhold Gilere Tarrentella piece on it and the bass sings...

[url="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153247011250333&set=pcb.510741085682397&type=1&theater"]https://www.facebook...&type=1[/url]
[/quote]

Will check it out, cheers!

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1379949984' post='2218607']
Good call Floyd man ! ( Ben was the guy that had this huge smile - right ? ...great musician and produced that fantastic singing sound on his bass ).

Andrew , if you get the chance to have a look at Ben's bass then do . A trip to the Royal College in London will be a lot cheaper than flying out to the USA - you could even meet up with FLoyd ( you may need to buy him a drink or two if this works out for you ! ) :D
[/quote]

Very true, haha yeah definitely!

I'd check out Chris Long's bass. Details are down this page [url="https://www.musicalchairs.info/double-bass/sales"]https://www.musicalchairs.info/double-bass/sales[/url]. Never played it myself, but I've sat directly in front of him in the orchestra & he makes a hell of a sound on it. Proper orchestral workhorse for £5000. Thinks he's based in Cardiff now.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm unfortunatly not going to be buying until December. (So unfortunatly It might have sold by then, but I would need to try it. Sounds like a nice bass though)

Was drumming up some interest, waiting for a few quotes of people! Looking for a bass that favours jazz, I still use a bow though.

Cheers,

I was just thinking about this this morning and was wondering maybe if i would be a good idea to wait until you can double the amount you have and have an instrument that you'll have forever very possibly. Maybe not that but if you had more to play with (and i know its very difficult im just throwing an idea out) you wouldnt have to limit yourself if there was say an amazing instrument for 7-8 thousand.

I played some great bass's in the 10,000 range in the contrabasse shop and i mean they were stunning. Im sure some kind of bargain could be stuck.

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1380195878' post='2222114']
I was just thinking about this this morning and was wondering maybe if i would be a good idea to wait until you can double the amount you have and have an instrument that you'll have forever very possibly. Maybe not that but if you had more to play with (and i know its very difficult im just throwing an idea out) you wouldnt have to limit yourself if there was say an amazing instrument for 7-8 thousand.

I played some great bass's in the 10,000 range in the contrabasse shop and i mean they were stunning. Im sure some kind of bargain could be stuck.
[/quote]

Hi Fatgoogle, it's a nice idea.

The problem is my current bass is literally on its way out. The bottom part of the bass, has sung in. (where the endpin is) which apparently means one of the four block of wood has slipped out of place. (apparently) Meaning that probably at some point it will (basically collapse? no idea)... well don't really want to think about it.

As the bass was so cheap (all I could afford at the time) the cost of repairs would be more than the bass. So thats why in December i'm planning to get a new double bass, originally I was going for one of the Bryant basses. (which I still am but i'm keeping my options open) and I was going to pay half upfront say (£2500) then the rest over 12 months. What i've done instead is taken some money I was saving for university (12 month contract) will be finished in December (so thats why I can't buy until December), so I can use the money. So I'll have about 5k.

But the problem is £10,000 is so much money, understandable double basses are expensive. I earn about £5500 a year. (time i've taken lessons out of that) a lot less maybe £3.5k. So i've been saving for this current bass for 18months and I'm pretty good with money. (don't waste it) so... if I was to borrow £5000 (i'm planning to start music college next year) i'd have all that money hanging over me which would be horrible to pay off, as i wouldn't be working as much. If that makes sense?

With the money you have to play with... The basses you have in your price range aren't going to be anything to die for!
Buy something that will hold value use it until you have more money in the future... You can get bursarys from uni to fund instruments...
I know thats what I'm going to do when I get to the academy

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1380218418' post='2222515']
You can get bursarys from uni to fund instruments...
I know thats what I'm going to do when I get to the academy
[/quote]

....so there may be a Bryant coming up for sale in the near future after all ! :D

Edited by ubassman

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1380232254' post='2222746']
Why does it have to be the Academy?
[/quote]

I have to agree with Mark partly but also I think you have to respect Floyd decision for RAM. (I know this is very off topic but then I did start the thread...)

At the end of the day all the Conservatoires are great, RAM, RNCM, RC, Birmingham, Trinity, Royal Welsh, Royal Scottish. (Leeds and Middlesex) I think you have to be semi-realistic about where you want to go.
At the end of the day yes there is always going to be a certain 'prestige' about going to a certain college but at the end of the day, no one is going to book you for a gig just because you studied at a certain college. (maybe someone can prove me wrong about this) But then people always say... but so and so went here and they're a monster. and yes.. this maybe true. But that was down to there hardwork, not to do with what college they went too.

On the otherside I do agree with Floyd in the fact that he has a particular interest in one college and it's a lot of money to spend. (hell probably 50k... tuition 9k a year + living expenses.) So I say go for it (hell you have more balls then me) I've decided to apply to Birmingham and Trinity and if I get rejected (Middlesex and Leeds) (Middlesex and Leeds still have great courses though, Zoltan Dekhany is the head of double bass and he is an absolute monster, it's a shame Leeds don't make their course 4 years instead of three, else I would of applied.)

Also in the nicest way possible, don't hold out on money from the conservatoire unless theres some kind of guarantee. I applied to Goldsmiths and got an unconditional offer (even though I met the terms for the scholarship I didn't get one) and my plan was to do the course and just have weekly private lessons with the nearest jazz monster in London.

Anyway I don't regret taking another year and applying to Conservatoire but I think I have to go this year, regardless of where I go. You'll be surprised how quick the years pass and I can understand wanting to go to a certain conservatoire but more or less some of the teachers are spread across certain conservatoires. Someone I know went to study at RAM and they got an offer from Birmingham and took that because they thought it was much friendly and he is an absolute bass monster.

I also decided not to apply to Royal Welsh after looking at the prospectus they have taken on a lot of international students, something like 2000 applicants on the prospectus when previously they had 700 applicants, which unfortunatly throws everything out. If you want documentation of this i'll PM you.

Anyway good luck to RAM Floyd, It will be worth it once you get there.

Anyway back to Basses!

Thanks FLoyd for the Youtube post - not seen Mr McT's bass-scores transcriptions before - very enjoyable to read the piece and of course hear his wonderful playing at the same time!

When it comes to figuring out where one wants to study, its a real privilege in the UK to have such diversity and choices available as Andrew has listed above. You pays your money - you chose where and with whom you study ! ...plus you have to be successful in getting in ! ...so much respect and kudos to anyone taking their playing to this level of expertise. :)

[quote name='FLoydElgar' timestamp='1380237101' post='2222818']
I am not sure where you were going with this long post...

Seem unnecessary... I am going to get into the academy and that is all you need to know.

Mtroun [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRqYluR5Aa0[/media] this man is why...
[/quote]

I was wondering why you would be so convinced of going to one college over all of the others. I understand that you admire Duncan McTier but I believe that he is currently suspended from his position due to allegations of less than admirable conduct. But over and above that, there's a whole lot of other great bass players in this country to learn from, we are spoilt for choice in fact! I have quite a few friends who study at the academy, but I'm pretty sure they all auditioned for other colleges as well and kept an open mind.

Have you had consultation lessons with tutors from all of the major colleges? How long since completing your A-Levels are you prepared to wait to successfully audition? Are the other aspects of the course preparing you for what you envision for your career? Are you sure your career goals will be the same in 10/20/40 years? Could you study privately with Duncan McTier for cheaper if he's your main reason for attending the Academy?

I'm not trying to have a go I'm just interested in why you have one particularly singular goal. Not that single-mindedness is a bad thing, I think to be honest we all need to be single minded if we are really serious about having a career in music. Personally speaking I've been to university and then done my masters at music college and you learn things in unexpected places. (As you can't hear tone of voice in text, bear in mind that I'm not trying to come across as condescending, I am genuinely very interested and I'm not a classical player so I'm not trying to seem like the bigger man!)

Sevenseas, I went to Goldsmiths back in 2005-08. If it's jazz bass you're interested in then Simon Woolf lives a stones throw away from Goldsmiths and taught me an awful lot.

Edited by mtroun

[quote name='SevenSeas' timestamp='1380196649' post='2222138']
Hi Fatgoogle, it's a nice idea.

The problem is my current bass is literally on its way out. The bottom part of the bass, has sung in. (where the endpin is) which apparently means one of the four block of wood has slipped out of place. (apparently) Meaning that probably at some point it will (basically collapse? no idea)... well don't really want to think about it.

As the bass was so cheap (all I could afford at the time) the cost of repairs would be more than the bass. So thats why in December i'm planning to get a new double bass, originally I was going for one of the Bryant basses. (which I still am but i'm keeping my options open) and I was going to pay half upfront say (£2500) then the rest over 12 months. What i've done instead is taken some money I was saving for university (12 month contract) will be finished in December (so thats why I can't buy until December), so I can use the money. So I'll have about 5k.

But the problem is £10,000 is so much money, understandable double basses are expensive. I earn about £5500 a year. (time i've taken lessons out of that) a lot less maybe £3.5k. So i've been saving for this current bass for 18months and I'm pretty good with money. (don't waste it) so... if I was to borrow £5000 (i'm planning to start music college next year) i'd have all that money hanging over me which would be horrible to pay off, as i wouldn't be working as much. If that makes sense?
[/quote]

I understand this completely. Im in uni doing music at the moment and funds are always tight (luckily i get a government grant to help with expenses) and the problem is i cant practice and hold down a job as well and go to uni. Just not enough hours. Luckily i do get seasonal work in a chocolate shop which helps a lot. And im getting more paid gigs slowly, hell i did a mime gig on tv last week but it pays.

I was just putting the idea out there as im using an old Romanian bass about €1200 or so and it's doing the job for uni, ive had work done on it, new bridge, endpin, fingerboard redone and rounded, neck slimmed and all that. But from talking to my teacher who incidentally uses two bryants as his main bass's that if i do end up going the classical route (which im hoping to do but keeping all my options open) that i should wait till I can get a bass that really matches to a section and in general most of those cheaper bass's (cheap is the wrong word right :D ) just won't have that depth. It's an idea, i was going to do the same thing but decided to hold off if i would be selling it in 4 years or so at a loss.

Uni and especially arts is all about the teacher and what you want to get or achieve from the course. Something to keep in my mind.

And to keep everything in check a Bryant would be more then fine for college. I have a friend (maybe more acquaintance) who has been accepted into the Berlin philharmonic academy (yes the Berlin one) who plays one of the more expensive thomann bass's. A thomann bass, he even did his audition on it. Just puts a bit of perspective on it.

Edited by fatgoogle

[quote name='fatgoogle' timestamp='1380279642' post='2223138']
I understand this completely. Im in uni doing music at the moment and funds are always tight (luckily i get a government grant to help with expenses) and the problem is i cant practice and hold down a job as well and go to uni. Just not enough hours. Luckily i do get seasonal work in a chocolate shop which helps a lot. And im getting more paid gigs slowly, hell i did a mime gig on tv last week but it pays.

I was just putting the idea out there as im using an old Romanian bass about €1200 or so and it's doing the job for uni, ive had work done on it, new bridge, endpin, fingerboard redone and rounded, neck slimmed and all that. But from talking to my teacher who incidentally uses two bryants as his main bass's that if i do end up going the classical route (which im hoping to do but keeping all my options open) that i should wait till I can get a bass that really matches to a section and in general most of those cheaper bass's (cheap is the wrong word right :D ) just won't have that depth. It's an idea, i was going to do the same thing but decided to hold off if i would be selling it in 4 years or so at a loss.

Uni and especially arts is all about the teacher and what you want to get or achieve from the course. Something to keep in my mind.

And to keep everything in check a Bryant would be more then fine for college. I have a friend (maybe more acquaintance) who has been accepted into the Berlin philharmonic academy (yes the Berlin one) who plays one of the more expensive thomann bass's. A thomann bass, he even did his audition on it. Just puts a bit of perspective on it.
[/quote]

Hey,

Yeah thats awesome, moneys money at the end of the day. (regardless of what you've got to do for it) I've done nearly every job (mcdonalds, paperounds, fruit and veg shops, retail, cleaning, literally anything!) The problem is even then I'm still on only 5k a year max! (thats without spending any money) in the last year and a half to save up for a reasonable double bass. So I know how you feel, I currently do three jobs at the moment which works around my time so I can still study bass for the majority of my time.

Yeah thats understandable, I have to be honest i'm looking for a bass that will hold its value.
I've been thinking about it more and my options so far are;

Jay Haide: (only if I know wherever I buy it from Contrabass shop or possibly Martyn Bailey, theres definitely an agreement (which I think there is) you can trade it back in to get a better bass in the future.
Paul Bryant: He makes great basses but i've heard that his solo basses are very suited to orchestral stuff (this contradicts what it says on his website... i'm just going by what a few players have told me) I know a few jazz players using them and seem to like them. So I suppose every bass he makes will be individual. I will (hopefully) be studying jazz and I still use a bow so it might be a great bass. Also it should hold its value. Now that he's retiring and I am on the list and he said the end of the year. (I should have so money left, so could go to Roger Dawson for a monster setup. (Obviously I need to look into this)
Emanuel Wilfer: This is the most complicated option which involves going all the way to Rolands workshop in Germany, trying all the basses he has in stock then bringing one back. (obviously not easy, I worked out travel was £500 and had to work out which exact trains I was allowed to catch back or my dad said he would drive me if I pay him enough petrol and he wouldn't go during winter. (obviously dark most of the time and driving in a foreign country etc) but looking at prices I will get a lot of double bass for my money! I don't even think i'd have to upgrade, I'm still waiting for a rough quote.

Not sure if the Uni quote was directed at me, but I agree. Where are you studying at the moment?

Yeah understandable, I am looking for a bass for the long term though. Not just to see me through college. I'll be auditioning for Trinity and Birmingham on my white plywood bass, but at the end of the day I'd be very surprised if they choose a candidate on how expensive their instrument was. I should be about how you play, I know quite a few players my age who have really expensive instruments... as i'm paying for everything myself. It takes a long time, as you know haha.

[quote name='mtroun' timestamp='1380277870' post='2223104']
I was wondering why you would be so convinced of going to one college over all of the others. I understand that you admire Duncan McTier but I believe that he is currently suspended from his position due to allegations of less than admirable conduct. But over and above that, there's a whole lot of other great bass players in this country to learn from, we are spoilt for choice in fact! I have quite a few friends who study at the academy, but I'm pretty sure they all auditioned for other colleges as well and kept an open mind.

Have you had consultation lessons with tutors from all of the major colleges? How long since completing your A-Levels are you prepared to wait to successfully audition? Are the other aspects of the course preparing you for what you envision for your career? Are you sure your career goals will be the same in 10/20/40 years? Could you study privately with Duncan McTier for cheaper if he's your main reason for attending the Academy?

I'm not trying to have a go I'm just interested in why you have one particularly singular goal. Not that single-mindedness is a bad thing, I think to be honest we all need to be single minded if we are really serious about having a career in music. Personally speaking I've been to university and then done my masters at music college and you learn things in unexpected places. (As you can't hear tone of voice in text, bear in mind that I'm not trying to come across as condescending, I am genuinely very interested and I'm not a classical player so I'm not trying to seem like the bigger man!)

Sevenseas, I went to Goldsmiths back in 2005-08. If it's jazz bass you're interested in then Simon Woolf lives a stones throw away from Goldsmiths and taught me an awful lot.
[/quote]

Hi Mark,
It's Andrew, i've just changed my 'basschat' name. So you'll know why I didn't choose Goldsmiths.