Why become a member? ×

WARWICK PRO FET HEADS. OPINIONS PLEASE!

man_at_arms84

Yeeeelo.

I'm looking for a cheap amp to use as a practice/back up for my Marshall VBA 400. I play in a very loud and heavy band ala melvins, old man gloom, sunn etc blah blah.
Someone suggested warwick pro fet amps are cheap.
Whats peoples opinions on them? Which one do people reckon would suit me?
Answers on post card please. (a post card being this forum.)

Chars.

[quote name='Welshbassist' post='221049' date='Jun 18 2008, 12:33 AM']From what I've heard, they're relatively quiet, considering their power rating. That's all I know though, can comeone else chime in?[/quote]
Cheers for the reply buddy.
You mean quite like as in noise or as in volume and power?
I was looking at either the 3.2 which is 300w SS or 5.1 which is 500w SS. Prior to this I was using a Peavey mark VI at practices which was 250w at 4ohms but was suprisingly loud.
No one else got any experience or opinions on these amps?

I haven't got personal experience with them, but our rehearsal studio recently bought a couple of the 500w Warwick heads and they both gave up the ghost within a couple of months.

That might be more to do with the ineptitude and ignorance of the bands that frequent the studio though, than the reliability of the heads. I suppose it's worth a quick web search to see if reliability is a big concern with them.

[quote name='man_at_arms84' post='221096' date='Jun 18 2008, 08:31 AM']Cheers for the reply buddy.
You mean quite like as in noise or as in volume and power?
I was looking at either the 3.2 which is 300w SS or 5.1 which is 500w SS. Prior to this I was using a Peavey mark VI at practices which was 250w at 4ohms but was suprisingly loud.
No one else got any experience or opinions on these amps?[/quote]
I mean volume wise. I havent tried the Peavey to compare though, but I'd imagine the 3.2 being a tad quieter.

I use a Profet 3.2 through an EBS 15" which is 4 ohms, so I get the full 300 watts. It's got plenty of volume and sounds great and is really quiet (apart from my single coil hum!) and is just about perfect for the price.

The 'just about' bit is only let down by the fact that I've had two problems with it so far. One was fixed under warranty and the other will be, when I can send it back. The first was a very strange pulsing click sound that eventually killed the amp, until it was repaired. As it was bought from Thomann, and shipped back to Germany for repair, I never found out exactly what it was. The second problem is a dodgy input jack that is intermittent and seems to have gone away but I don't trust it.

To sum up, if it had been problem free, I would 100% recommend it. As it is, I still recommend it, just with the reliability factor detracting a bit!

[quote name='Welshbassist' post='221801' date='Jun 18 2008, 10:55 PM']Can anyone comment on the tone of the Profets? I'd imagine this is the deciding factor, right?[/quote]

I love the tone, it's warm and clear. The tone changing capabilities are quite standard; low, low-mid, high-mid and high knobs. There are also deep and bright switches that boost both those ranges. I use a jazz bass for indie/rock/ and generally keep the eq flat, only adjusting for the room but the amp sounds good with the limited effects I've used (overdrive, synth and octave).

When I was recording through this and the amp died, I replaced it with an Ashdown Mag 300 that was in the studio. It just didn't sound as good to my ears and I asked the engineer why not. His reply was that my amp was a boutique piece of valve kit and the Ashdown a cheap imitation! That was validation enough for me on the tone of the amp!