Why become a member? ×

Active/Passive question

spinynorman

This may well have come up before, but I can't find anything. It may even be a really stupid question.

I have a passive 4-string and an active 5-string. For reasons we needn't go into, I start gigs with the 4-string, but sometimes need to swap part way through to the 5-string. The amp is the type that has separate inputs for active and passive. I've tried leaving the lead in the passive input, but the active bass is really too strong for it. Is there another alternative to swapping the lead between the sockets, like some kind of inline switch/pedal?

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='220095' date='Jun 16 2008, 06:17 PM']The volume control?[/quote]

That's what I do. I don't have seperate inputs on the GK for active and passive but I do have the db cut to do the same job.
Can't be arsed fiddling with that so I set the gain at 12 oclock for active and turn it up to 2 oclock when I use the passives.

I'm probably slightly paranoid or even superstitious but once I've got the amp set the way I want it I don't touch anything, including the volume, and having the volume way down on the bass doesn't feel right somehow.

I assumed an A/B switch wouldn't work because of having a lead into both inputs on the amp.

Actually I've got a forgotten Sans Amp BDDI down the bottom of the gig bag, might give that a try.

You're not kidding, that EBS Microbass II is seriously expensive.