Why become a member? ×

Fuzz and switchable active circuits

redbandit599

Hi all

I'm full of questions lately (probably because I bashed my left hand falling of my bike and have to rest it!)

Anyhow, I'm no pedal expert and don't really understand how they work etc, but I like playing about with them. I've read that some fuzzes don't like active basses and that this is due to the impedance (I think that's right) being different between active and passive signals.

As every active bass I've ever had has been switchable is the solution to the issue just to switch to passive if you want to use fuzz in a song, or am I missing the point somewhere?

Cheers

Jason

Hi Jason

You heard right. In old-style 2-transistor fuzz boxes like the Fuzz Face, the guitar or bass wiring sort of becomes part of the fuzz circuit, particularly when the volume is up full. You can therefore adjust the fuzziness from the volume control of the instrument, and the effect is much more pronounced than you would expect from just varying the level of signal going into the fuzz box. Active circuits mess this up.

As it happens I have 2 basses with active/passive switching, and a Fuzz Face clone (Cornell First Fuzz), and a day off today, so I shall report back later.

Graeme

Hi Jason

Well I tried it, and the results were very interesting, though slightly marred by the fact that the First Fuzz picks up interference form my ethernet-over-mains connection.

Using the Sandberg, operation in passive mode was as expected, with a big rise in fuzziness at the top of the bass's volume range. In active mode, the thing went nuts - there was a similar fuzz leap near full volume, but the sound was much gainier and the bass fed back easily. This was at quite a loud level for a small room, but way below gig levels. Given that active mode on the Sandberg produces a neutral/flat response (with no volume boost) when the tone knobs are centred, this was quite a surprise!

When I have time I will repeat the experiment (a) with the pesky interference turned off, (B) in a larger room, and (c) with my G&L, which has a very different character when active mode is engaged.

Graeme

Cheers Graeme!

Sounds like you had fun. I hadn't noticed much difference with my two fuzzes (big muff and a pickle pie other than it just sounding a bit 'better' (hard to quantify I know) with my Sandberg in passive.

But, I didn't really play about with the volume control.

The missus is away on a course tomorrow so I anticpate some sonic experimentation tomorrow night!

I notice that you mention '2 transistor' type fuzzes working this way. How can you tell which ones are built like that?

Cheers

Jason

Edited by redbandit599

You can check out the schematics on t'interweb. Or open up the casing and look.

The Fuzz Face has just 2 transistors (numerous variations exist), e.g:

...whereas the Big Muff uses pairs of clipping diodes (like stacked overdrive pedals):

WARNING: Too close an interest in the workings of fuzz pedals can send you wibbly-hatstand!

[quote name='shaundixon666' timestamp='1379278229' post='2210835']
My 2 active basses don't have a passive switch, so can't be that common ^_^
[/quote]

No it's not. Big selling point for me!

G&L - fully passive treble and bass controls, active mode adds a preamp with a preset boost/contour.
Sandberg - passive mode ignore bass pot, treble pot now only effective over lower half of range (i.e. cut only), but blend still works (yay!)

I've not had that many basses, just 4 in all my years of playing and I've still got 3 of them. My only active ones have been the Sandberg (switchable) and a Hohner B (great lightweight bass actually) and that was switchable too. So, put that down to my lack of shopping! I thought they'd all be switchable.

Incidentally, I had a play about with my Big Muff and the Sandeberg and passive Warwick at the weekend. Not a much difference in terms of switching between active and passive (besides the obvious change in tone etc.) but I hadn't really played about much with rolling of the tone and volume on the guitar before and this does make the sound much more what I'm after. So, that's one lesson learned for me re fuzz. I think my Muff will probably do me know so I'll be selling off my Pickle Pie B as it's probably more than I need, mind you perhaps I need to repeat the experiment with that first!!

Thanks for your input.