Why become a member? ×

IMO

Hutton

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1378901334' post='2206219']
I wouldn't have thought it was possible to write in that manner, just speak that way and most of that is imagined by the reader. Hence arguments start very easily.
[/quote][quote name='TimR' timestamp='1378901334' post='2206219']
I wouldn't have thought it was possible to write in that manner, just speak that way and most of that is imagined by the reader. Hence arguments start very easily.
[/quote]

I think you've hit the nail on the head....IMO of course. These days we write to each other more than we speak through internet and texts so people tend to be more honest and colorful with words than they would if they were talking face to face, and like you say, add to that how the reader imagines it and arguments easily arise.

If we're thinking of the same ad, it's not the seller who made the comment, but somebody admiring the bass.

I do agree with the OP about these type of comments though. It seems to be popular to knock late 70s and early 80s Fenders. Probably an easy and, according to many in the know, fair target, but I'd love to know if those who comment have actually played any of the basses they knock.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1378888511' post='2205941']
I'm getting fed up with folk passing sweeping statements and not stating that it is merely their opinion. An early 80s P bass for instance is for sale at the moment. It is made by an excellent maker and is no doubt a superb bass. However, is it really necessary to add that it is better than USA Fenders of the same era. I have two early 80s P basses and they are both fantastic basses. I'm not saying that they are any better or worse than any other P bass of the early 80s but to claim that the 80s bass for sale is far better is ridiculous. It is misleading to say so in the for sale forum without stating that it is the posters opinion. I don't want to clutter the post which is trying to sell the bass by making my point. This is not another Fender verses the rest post. It just happens that the P bass for sale post is the example I'm using. By all manner of means compliment a bass to help the sale but don't say it's better than something else. The next post down may be trying to sell the very bass that is being denigrated. It's not difficult to add IMO! This, of course, is only my opinion. Rant over.
[/quote]
Modern society seemingly think that just because the internet was initially setup to be a scholars tool, that their OPINION has become fact. Freedom of speech is all fair and well but I find Freedom of Silence to be the bigger and more interesting option nowadays, especially when on the internet.