Why become a member? ×

Stentor 1950 Student Model

Mr Bassman

Any other Stentor 1950 owners here?

I just bought a used one which needs some setting up, but I can tell it's got great potential soundwise, has a nice chunky neck, and is really portable.

Just wondered what strings other owners preferred, and any gremlins to report?

Here's Hugh
http://youtu.be/4DFlTWfYF1A

Just to add that on my used model the nut needs lowering, the bridge is set at the wrong angle, and the endpin rattles!

But with a bit of tweaking and a change of strings I think this may sound and play as good as many more expensive instruments.

I might replace the alloy tailpiece, but it sounds good so it would only be for aesthetic (or snobbish) reasons.

I've got one! Bought it last year from a fellow Basschatter as my entry into DB world, and I love it! Mine had been properly set up with Innovation Silver Slaps (synthetic gut), and plays beautifully with a big sound (I only play pizz)- always gets positive comments from my fellow musicians!

The only issue I've had was with the endpin rattling- I found that it was coming from the tiny retaining rivet at the top of the endpin itself. A couple of minutes with a hacksaw cured the issue... ;)

I have a Stentor and use it as my workhorse ( in the car out the car, in the car out the car, in the car out the car ....etc !) .

Great all round bass with a lovely tone both pizz and arco. I have Kaplans which are similar to Bel Cantos which are great for orchestral playing and produce a mellow pizz - the bass seems to respond well to the tension.

Edited by ubassman

[quote name='Etienne' timestamp='1378769126' post='2204606']
I've got one! Bought it last year from a fellow Basschatter as my entry into DB world, and I love it! Mine had been properly set up with Innovation Silver Slaps (synthetic gut), and plays beautifully with a big sound (I only play pizz)- always gets positive comments from my fellow musicians!
The only issue I've had was with the endpin rattling- I found that it was coming from the tiny retaining rivet at the top of the endpin itself. A couple of minutes with a hacksaw cured the issue... ;)
[/quote]
My end pin rattles but its a loose fit in the bushing, think I'll invest in a decent replacement.
[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1378804931' post='2204741']
I have a Stentor and use it as my workhorse ( in the car out the car, in the car out the car, in the car out the car ....etc !) .

Great all round bass with a lovely tone both pizz and arco. I have Kaplans which are similar to Bel Cantos which are great for orchestral playing and produce a mellow pizz - the bass seems to respond well to the tension.
[/quote]
The G string broke so I popped a used Belcanto on and it sounds great. Just need to do something with the bridge which is leaning upwards, looks like its been that way since new.

Edited by Mr Bassman

Three broken stings in less than a week!

When I went to view / buy the bass last Friday the G string snapped at the tuning peg. Didn't think any more than it was an old string and I'd change them anyway.
After fitting a new bridge I was tuning up and the E string broke at the tuning peg.
I fitted a used set of Kolstein Heritage yesterday, they sound great. Went back to the bass this morning to find the D string had snapped at the tuning peg!
Haven't had a proper inspection yet but I suspect the string holes in the pegs may have sharp edges.
Anyone else had this problem?

Edited by Mr Bassman

I've had mine for about six years, must admit it's the only DB I've ever owned, but I love it especially since I had it set up properly and a new adjustable bridge fitted. Still experimenting with strings, my fav's so far were Honey's. I use a bass max with it but would love to try out a mic but not sure which to try, expensive old game isn't it, even with a less expensive bass...........bloody good fun though :)

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1378995161' post='2207510']
Never been a problem on mine Keith - takes quite a lot to bust an E-string ! Do you think that the machines might have been replaced or do they look original?
[/quote]
They're the originals.
Funny, I haven't had a string break for about 10 years yet I've had 5 break in the last few weeks on 3 diffent instruments. Must be me, maybe I'm jinxed :-)
[quote name='johnny dissident' timestamp='1378995733' post='2207516']
I've had mine for about six years, must admit it's the only DB I've ever owned, but I love it especially since I had it set up properly and a new adjustable bridge fitted. Still experimenting with strings, my fav's so far were Honey's. I use a bass max with it but would love to try out a mic but not sure which to try, expensive old game isn't it, even with a less expensive bass...........bloody good fun though :)
[/quote]
I've just fitted an adjustable bridge with a full circle but I've also tried the Bassmax on it. The full circle is very powerful but is prone to feedback, the Bassmax sounds a lot brighter on this bass. However we're only talking less than an hour plugged in so far. Still got fine adjustments to make. Sounds promising though.
I see there's another one for sale on here if anyone's looking for a great sounding affordable instrument. http://basschat.co.uk/topic/216874-stentor-34-double-bass-for-sale/

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1379005570' post='2207679']
They're the originals.
Funny, I haven't had a string break for about 10 years yet I've had 5 break in the last few weeks on 3 diffent instruments. Must be me, maybe I'm jinxed :-)

I've just fitted an adjustable bridge with a full circle but I've also tried the Bassmax on it. The full circle is very powerful but is prone to feedback, the Bassmax sounds a lot brighter on this bass. However we're only talking less than an hour plugged in so far. Still got fine adjustments to make. Sounds promising though.
I see there's another one for sale on here if anyone's looking for a great sounding affordable instrument. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/216874-stentor-34-double-bass-for-sale/"]http://basschat.co.u...-bass-for-sale/[/url]
[/quote]

Interesting to see whether you can reduce feedback with the full circle by rotating the pickup a tad.

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1379006599' post='2207692']

Interesting to see whether you can reduce feedback with the full circle by rotating the pickup a tad.
[/quote]
It was the D string that was feeding back until it broke, that cured the feedback :-o
Seriously though the phase switch on my amp killed the feedback, but I will experiment more with the rotation when I get the set up right. Thanks for the hint.

I used to own a Stentor 1950. I can't say I remember it with much fondness, as it cost me lot to do repairs to it and every luthier complained about how awful it was to work on. I found Evah Pirazzis to give it a pretty good sound, but it sounded pretty one dimensional when compared to my Bryant.

I've played a 1950 for over two years, and it's never let me down. Nice sound from the solid top with that mwah that Hugh talks about in his video, and great for tight gigs where you don't mind the ply back and sides talking an occasional knock. I use Pirastro Obligatos for pizzicato, and they've been on over two years and still going.

Best of luck getting it fixed up and playing.

[url="http://www.thestringzone.co.uk/pirastro-obligato-double-bass-strings-set"]http://www.thestring...ass-strings-set[/url]
G Orchestra Synthetic/Chrome Steel Mittel 3/4 441120
D Orchestra Synthetic/Chrome Steel Mittel 3/4 441220
A Orchestra Synthetic/Chrome Steel Mittel 3/4 441320
E Orchestra Synthetic/Chrome Steel Mittel 3/4 441420
SET is 441020.

Edited by petebassist

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update

I took the full circle off & fitted a bassmax, big improvement

I adapted a used bridge (ex dave Swift) with some Milliput to shape the feet (pics to follow)

It sounds great with no feedback issues, don't need a preamp

I re-bushed the end pin which has stopped the rattle

Done 3 gigs so far on it, love the sound, my pianist thinks it sounds better than many expensive instruments and I agree

And it's an easy carry

Result :-)

• 1 month later...

I bought a 1950 from the very lovely Ollie through BC. Brought it home through rush hour on the tube. Easy to carry. I'm a greenhorn on DB but its very friendly to play. Looking to replace the end pin which is shot. Took it to my teacher tonight. He was impressed by how easy it was to play. Lovin' it. Thanks Ollie.

Edited by hairyhatman