Why become a member? ×

Strap holder hole advice...

Orbs

Hello,

I'm sure I can't be the only one to have encountered this problem, so any advice would be great. The body on my Jap Fender Jazz bass is made of basswood, and I'm finding it difficult keeping the strap holder in as it constantly works itself loose. I've used matchsticks with wood glue and dowells so far but the screw still works itself loose. I am unable to use a larger sized screw due to the strap holder hole size.

Anyone have any constructive suggestions to resolve this problem?

Many thanks...

Wood glue is only really good for joining wood. What you want is something which will penetrate, bond and reform lost material. Still use your matchsticks (I prefer toothpicks as they are untreated chemically) but use superglue instead. Once set, this will give you something very solid to screw into. It might be an idea to drill out any remaining wood glue first.

Edited by Ou7shined

This problem usually comes up with straplock buttons. When I was using Schallers, I did all the matchstick/cocktail stick things, to little effect. I drilled out the strap buttons slightly so I could use fatter screws, which did improve matters. The only one I didn't do was to drill out the hole completely and glue in a dowel, and then screw into that, which I understand can work well.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to feedback on this as it has been a couple of weeks since I took Ou7shined's tip about using superglue, and I can confirm that so far it has worked a treat for me, so I hope this helps anyone else who encounters this problem, thanks again Ou7shined!

I see you've carried out this repair, but for others that may have this problem, my solution was:

use a matchstick (other thin pieces of would may work but I can't comment) that was liberally coated in arraldite (other two part epoxy resins are available)

This was put in to the strap button hole, it was a snug fit, and tapped home with a hammer and scrap of wood.

It gave it a few minutes to start to cure before trimming the excess matchstick with a sharp knife.

I then screwed the strap button in and allowed it all to cure overnight.

This fix has lasted over 15 years without trouble and didn't even cause a problem when I changed the strap button for a Jim Dunlop strap lock button.