Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Epiphone EB-0 Modding

Groove Harder

Right. I've acquired an Epiphone EB-0 on the cheap that I was planning on modding.

I've bought one of these cheap Sidewinder buckers with the thinking of sticking one in as a bridge pickup. Does anyone have experience with this mod or even have an idea of how it would sound?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Artec-Custom-Hot-4-String-Bass-Sidewinder-Pickup-30K-Ohms-Chrome-/151094160241"]http://www.ebay.co.u...e-/151094160241[/url]

I was thinking of wiring it V.V.T. or maybe throwing in a 3 way switch for neck, both and bridge. Any help with wiring would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

GH

Cheers for the video, Tommo.

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I installed the Artec humbucker in the bridge position last night and wired the bass up for V.V.T and I quite like the tones but there is a fair bit of discrepancy in volume between the 2 humbuckers, I've raised and lowered the magnets accordingly but still the bridge humbucker's volume is still pretty weak. There's a problem with the tone control as well because when I turn it right down, it cuts the volume.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Anyone any ideas?[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Thanks[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]GH[/font][/color]

Yup, PM'd right back.

Yeah I did just that, although I ended up wiring the tone control on my Epi EB-0 as the volume for the bridge pickup as I got hold of a very cool passive rotary tone selector so didn't bother with a rotary tone in the end. Regarding the puny stock Epiphone pickup it's very different in output to most original and replacement Mudbuckers. In fact, I ended up putting my replacement mudbucker in the neck position and moving the low output, more trebly stock (neck) pickup to the bridge position as I found the replacement was way too bassy and wooly for the bridge.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, swapping the pickups round solved the volume issue, cheers for that. I'm not sure how to wire this up properly so that there is an even sweep throughout the 2 volume and 1 tone controls. As it is there is a sudden surge of volume in the last 8th of a turn rather than it increasing smoothly throughout the whole turn of the knobs.

Cheers

I have it wired up as 'Jazz Bass' wiring which must be causing this problem.

As you can see, I'm a begineer with this sort of stuff but I enjoy it though!

[quote name='Groove Harder' timestamp='1378240319' post='2197652']
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, swapping the pickups round solved the volume issue, cheers for that. I'm not sure how to wire this up properly so that there is an even sweep throughout the 2 volume and 1 tone controls. As it is there is a sudden surge of volume in the last 8th of a turn rather than it increasing smoothly throughout the whole turn of the knobs.

Cheers

I have it wired up as 'Jazz Bass' wiring which must be causing this problem.

As you can see, I'm a begineer with this sort of stuff but I enjoy it though!
[/quote]

Yeah that could be to do with the hugely different output of the Mudbucker - is it the new pickup or both of them you're having trouble with? Most passive electric guitar/bass circuits use logarithmic pots which have all the 'change' in a relatively small portion of the entire sweep of the volume/tone knob, so that's kind of normal, but you might find altering the pot to one of a different value will even it out a bit. I looked at my EB today but couldn't see what value they actually are but it's likely they're 500k so maybe try changing to 250k for the pot in question. If you've wired it up VVT like a Jazz it should work pretty well otherwise.