Why become a member? ×

Good small bass combo

badboy1984

The Ampeg really surprise me in terms of tone. I paid £99 in the shop for the amp which I expect it will sound ok but nothing fantastic. After I plug the bass in and play around with it I was blown out by the volume and tone for a 8" cab. Didn't think it will handle the low end that good.

Look like I've found a small combo that I will really enjoy to play at home.

Agree with you lozz on the ba108 that will always sound like ampeg tone no matter what I do.

Edited by badboy1984

The orange is smaller but i can see it is a nice amp to use if you like that sort of tone. It got that very aggressive mids that will cut through in the band.

The Roland 20XL is a good amp, i use one of them for band rehearsal in the drummer's house. It sounded decent but it wasn't the tone i was after and i prefer just to have simple 3 band EQ lol.

My conclusion for buying small practice combo right now in the market (exclude second hand/discontinue product) that gives you good volume, tone and size will be:

- Roland 20XL
- Ampeg BA108
- Orange 25BX

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1378467414' post='2200713']
One Question Lozz,

How come alot of place keep advertising the Ampeg BA108 is tilt back but i've seen alot of them is not and my BA108 is not tilt back as well.
[/quote]

Well I`ve had mine for a fair while now, think about 3 years, and mine is tilt-back, so maybe they`ve changed the cab design on the newer models.

Yeah my is complete cubed, Ampeg probably do the newer BA108 like a cube and leave the bigger ones like 110, 115 etc to have tilt back.

I got to say this small Ampeg really make me very happy. Don't know how Ampeg do it but for weight, size and tone is amazing. What amaze me the most of the volume it can dash out and also the cab can handle the low end nicely, even with my low B string. Thumbs up on Ampeg, everything other small combo i play except the Roland 20XL is all sound tiny and lack of low end.