Why become a member? ×

Freeing a seized truss rod

andydye

Help needed from the wealth of bc knowledge...

Today I landed a wicked little cheapy dean custom zone bass, everything was sweet until I tried to adjust the truss rod...
Intonation, electrics etc are all spot on it's just the truss rod that won't adjust, at all, either up or down, tighten or loosen, I corkscrewed my allen key in the process!

Does anyone have any ideas how to free up a seized truss rod please?

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1377812803' post='2192391']
If it's safe to do so without singeing anything, you could try holding the tip of a soldering iron on it for a bit to expand the metal.
[/quote]

Thanks matey, it's a bit too embedded in the end of the neck for that I think :(

I did find this:

"Loosen the strings, or take them off.
Loosen the truss nut if you can.
If not, put a drop or two of PB Blaster penetrating oil on the truss nut, let sit for a day.
If the problem is the truss itself is seized inside the neck, you'll need to loosen the truss all the way, stand the guitar on it's head (assuming the truss adjustment nut is inside) and put a few drops of (or a very short spray) of silicone lubricant so it runs down (up) the length of the truss inside the neck.
Let it stand up (or stand on it's head) for a day.With the truss relaxed inside the neck, the silicone should coat the truss and truss channel, and free it up.
Sometimes it's a matter of the truss being improperly installed."

Thoughts?

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1377853395' post='2192678']
That's a shame.
It's worth a go with the WD I suppose but be careful not to get too overzealous with it as it can leach through the wood under the finish and look nasty.
[/quote]

I dribbled a drop or two of silicon lube around the periphery of the nut and after a moment and a brief waggle it freed up rather nicely :)