Why become a member? ×

Korg Pitchblack eating batteries

clauster

I'm not sure if anyone can be of help, but I'll ask anyway just in case.

A few months ago my Pitchblack died at a rehersal. No biggy, just popped a new battery in and it worked again. I just thought it was a bit wierd because it had had a new battery only a few weeks before.

The next week at rehearsal, plugged into it - nada, nothing, dead. Powered it from guitarists board supply and all was fine. Another new battery in later and it worked, but drained it again in a few days (possibly sooner).

As I was already using a 9v supply for my Rat King, I just got a daisy chain and connected everything together and everything has been functional since.

Now I'm giving up the rest of my pedals, I'd like to not have to take the wall wart everywhere just for the PB. But I need to work out what's going on.

Anyone have any ideas on troubleshooting this?

Since the battery lead to the side finger of the bass jack is usually a separate finger, I'm wondering if something is bent that is making contact and shorting out the battery somewhere between the battery connection and the jack. Is the battery connection a separate connection that might have had a wire become crossed, or is it of internal integral flanges that the battery just sits in. Every few years, in spite of being careful, I occasionally have to replace battery connections and take small needle nosed pliers and realign jack fingers to make sure clean connections are made and not shorting out across to other connections.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1377621050' post='2189533'] Since the battery lead to the side finger of the bass jack is usually a separate finger, I'm wondering if something is bent that is making contact and shorting out the battery somewhere between the battery connection and the jack. Is the battery connection a separate connection that might have had a wire become crossed, or is it of internal integral flanges that the battery just sits in. Every few years, in spite of being careful, I occasionally have to replace battery connections and take small needle nosed pliers and realign jack fingers to make sure clean connections are made and not shorting out across to other connections. [/quote]

I've popped a battery in for now and (with nothing plugged in) will see if it still has charge in a few days. If not, this is great info to take it further. Cheers

What kind of batteries are you using? Alkaline batteries or zinc chlorides won't last long - even some of the premium brands. And some rechargeable batteries just aren't worth the effort after they get past a certain age. You could try lithium batteries - they're not cheap, but do tend to last longer for this kind of thing.

Bestaluck

BB

[quote name='borisbrain' timestamp='1377645083' post='2189958']
What kind of batteries are you using? Alkaline batteries or zinc chlorides won't last long - even some of the premium brands. And some rechargeable batteries just aren't worth the effort after they get past a certain age. You could try lithium batteries - they're not cheap, but do tend to last longer for this kind of thing.

Bestaluck

BB
[/quote]

Alkaline batteries last for ages in pedals, especially tuners - as long as you unplug them when you're done. Something abnormal is causing the pedal to be on all the time if the battery is disappearing in a few weeks. Better get this sorted out before the OP tries lithium batteries, which you're right will last for eons but until the problem is addressed they'll just be wasted.

• 1 month later...

My Pitchblack is a great tuner, but batteries don't last very long. I checked one these "dead" batteries with a meter and it read 8.5v, put it in my active bass and it lasted another 18 months and was still working when I removed it, only 5v!!
Needless to say I've used it with a power supply since then.
I can only assume that the Pitchblack isn't as forgiving when the voltage starts to drop...