Why become a member? ×

Backing Solution

Our trio (Voice, Guitar and Bass):http://www.myspace.com/idlehandstrio when live do some of our set as a trio and for the more modern material augment the sound with programmed drums/strings etc pushed through the mixer into the PA from a domestic CD player with speaker which also helps as a monitor.

On the last couple of gigs we have had problems with the CD player cutting out into the PA, we thought due to dodgy leads, which we replaced. However it now appears to be due to a dodgy socket in the Cd player itself.

Is there a more robust/pro solution out there that anyone uses as we cannot afford to have drums cutting in and out?

An MP3 player which we have used is OK but you don't get the monitoring function as there is no speaker.

Anyone got any ideas of what we could use please?

You can get professional CD players from DJ stores. These should have more robust connectors and are also likely to be easier to use in a gigging environment.

Citronic and Numark are two names I've seen a lot, bit do check the specification to make sure it is real PRO kit and not aimed at bedroom DJs in which case it might nit be much better than a domestic hi-fi.

Thanks for the suggestions but neither of these options gives us some drum monitoring too. Only the singer has a monitor and that's a mini one and she don't like too much drums in it.....
I suppose the answer is either one of the above plus a seperate powered monitor for drums?

Sorry - didn't read that correctly.

I'm not aware of any "pro" equipment that has a CD player and an amp/speaker built-in. The only sort of thing that has that combination would be one of these "karaoke machines" but then you're getting back into domestic equipment and possible long term reliability problems.

You could get a combined Pro DJ CD/MP3 player and a separate powered monitor. I'm guessing you wouldn't need a huge monitor. Check the Wharfedale powered range.

One thing to be aware of is that the output of the CD is likely to be stereo and the input of the monitor mono. You'd need to make a a "stereo-to-mono" lead or buy a monitor with 2 input channels.

You'd also need a line out from the monitor to take the signal to your PA (but most powered monitors have this anyway).

I'm afraid it all adds up !

You could get an mp3 player that has a mono mode, take a "stereo mini jack to two mono jacks" lead, put one in the PA mixer and one in a powered monitor. Or just plug the mp3 player into the mixer, and add another speaker to your set up.