Why become a member? ×

Replace TC BH500 with Ashdown CMT 15?

badboy1984

I'm definitely need downsizing this time. Currently using TC BH500 and 2x BC212. Planning to keep one cab and get rid of the other cab and possibly replace the head for something else as well.

Those little Ashdown got me GASing to replace my BH500.

The Little Bastard 30 is nice but it doesn't have a gain knob ......

The CMT15 is 15watt all valve but it have a gain and master knob which is good to dail in clean to dirty tone.

Tried the CMT15 running into Ashdown ABM4x10 in the shop (PMT warehouse manchester) and it sounds pretty loud for a 15watt valve head and i'm using a passive squier jazz bass as well.

I got a feeling i can actually do small gig with this (i only do pub gig and 200-250 size venue). I usually have PA support in gig except pub gig.

Worth trading the BH500 for the CMT15?

Edited by badboy1984

After a long sleep last night thinking about what to get i think i need to rethink about hte CTM15 ........ it does sound tiny when put into band situation.

I'm gonna trade in my BH500 and BC212 cab for one of the head.

It's clearly down to Orange Terror Bass and the Ashdown Little Bastard 30.

I've tried both amp in the shop in the past and they both does sound good but the OTB is 500watt hybrid amp and the LB30 is all valve 30watt.

I only going to use it for home practice, recording, band rehearsal, pub gigs and small club gigs (200-250 people with DI/PA support).

Planning to run it thru a BC212 cab.

Edited by badboy1984

I tried and loved the bass terror as am in similar situation to yourself, I loved it's thick creamy tone (with the ability to go STONKING if needed). However, I am hanging fire after I spoke to bass direct and they will be getting the Genz Benz STM 600 back in stock in the next few weeks and will be selling at £549. The tone does it for me similarly to the Orange but the host of features for home practise and recording are much better than the Orange. I think, worth the £50 more and the wait to get it.

I don't really know, i need to tried again today in the shop later to decide. I really like the LB30 but i'm gonna tried it again on my cab to see how it sound.

I know my TC BC212 is a decent 2x12 cabs and is lighter then most 2x10 and 4x10 etc but i fancy changing the BC212 for a Ashdown VS212 or 2x ampeg SVT210 micro cabs if i get the LB30.

Compact size in the house is what i need.

Edited by badboy1984

I just got my CTM 15, Plugged it into my RS112 for the first time last night. Very cool for home practice and would be ok for jamming at home or maybe an acoustic gig in a small venue but its not going to cut it in even a small pub (unless you wana lug 4 high efficient 15 around with you) that said 0 gain and mid day volume is as loud as I would want to go at home (clean) and it dose fuzz in a great way with the gain cranked and volume backed way down. I think it sounded better through the MIBass 10 I tried it through in the shop than it dose through my RS112 so might have to go n try it through a few other cabs. I have to say though that it is a very noise amp when you start to wind up the gain. will be posting some more on this little guy later when ive had a chance to give it a bit more of a test drive.

Nice one on the LB Badboy. To be honest I was a little disappointed with my CTM15, bit to noise n a bit harsh sounding :mellow: . I have just re tubed it with a set of matched JJ EL84 output tubes (highest grade number I could find for extra clean headroom) and replaced the 12AX7 in the pre with a GT 5751 (about 30% less gain than a 12AX7) what a difference. Sounds sweeeeeeeeet as a nut now :D . I'm definatly guna be selling my BH250 now! Just makes me wunder why they cant just fit good valves to begin with? I have read a lot of posts about the LB saying that a valve swap makes a big change to its sound so id def recommend the ones I put in my CTM 15