Why become a member? ×

Soundcraft 328XD: Using both optical outs for digital recording?

VTypeV4

Hi guys, I need some advice as I have only a little experience in the field of recording. I'm a live engineer really but I want to have a stab and see what results I can get.

[i]The scenario:[/i]

I use my 328XD as a live desk at the Rigger (quite sure I've mixed some of you guys on this forum) and it excels at this task offering plenty of control, routing options and useability. Being a digital desk, it has many digital ins outs that can be configured in many different ways for recording also. I figured that I can build a computer, buy a suitable sound card and begin to make some live recordings.

[i]The Tech:[/i]

The part I'm interested in is the lightpipe / optical digital outputs. The desk has two of these outs and each can carry up to 8 channels of digital audio to a suitable recording device. These outputs can be configured to carry channels 1-8 and 9-16 pre-fade or post fade, pre or post eq, pre-or post dynamics or any combination of groups 1-8 and / or aux 1-4 and or Stereo returns and of course the master L/R bus with a max of 8 per optical out. I'd probably use channels and keep them pre everything except dynamics processing (maybe?) so any changes could be done in the software on the computer.

[i]The question and problem:[/i]

The manual for the desk is very helpful, comprehensive and I would consider very good but in it's suggested configuration bit, there's nothing quite like I intend to set it up. I expect all the external products it refers to now are also out of date (like the desk I guess) but I'm sure there must be a modern product that will allow me to run it into the soundcard / computer then see those outputs on the screen of an audio sequencer / recording program - like CuBase for example? Can someone suggest such a product?

[URL=http://s778.photobucket.com/user/VTypeV4/media/RigCraft2_zps99d7b7db.jpg.html][IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/RigCraft2_zps99d7b7db.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Any help would be great, thanks. Matt :D

That looks very comprehensive, have you experience of this product, Jake? Thats the kind of thing I'm looking for tho, I like the fact it's a 'one stop shop' so to speak..

The desk is capable of generating time code, do I need this with the ADAT connections?

Timecode is is useful to have when recording digitally into a DAW, as it time stamps the audio files, but it's not absolutely necessary, unless you want to synch to video. The Motu audio interface that Jake recommends is a good one, but there are many other brands out there that have 2 ADAT ins. Firewire connection is a better bet with an interface as you can stream (and then record) more tracks/channels at a higher quality simultaneously.
Recording at 24 bit will give you a lot of headroom, so clipping wont be a problem, even if you stream before your live compressors/limiters.

If you're going for a PC then there's quite a bit of choice in software - Cubase, Ableton Live, Cakewalk Sonar, Avid Pro Tools or Cockos Reaper (a great open source type DAW app that is much cheaper than the rest). Pro Tools is by far the most common in recording studios, of course.
I don't know what budget you have, but you could get a useable set up for about £1k - cheaper if you buy used. Try and get a decently fast processor in the PC, at least 8Gig of Ram, and a BIG hard drive for storing all that audio...and a Firewire port!
Once you get by the set-up of all the stuff, it's remarkably easy to record and edit audio on computers these days - before you know it you'll be wanting to mix the live sessions yourself and flog the live album masters to the bands!

Thanks Mr F!

Sooundslike timecode is something I don't really need as there'll be no video, I'm not going that far! As for the Motu, it really does look like a proper bit of kit but I'd have to get a 2nd hand one as typical budget constraints apply. I wasn't aware of any much difference between Firewire and USB but if the concensus is to Firewire then so be it! I'd considered 16 bit / 44.1K to be a standard but if the hardware and software will run a higher sample and bit rate without fuss, I might as well take advantage.

At home I have a border-line vintage setup with a SoundBlaster Audigy, oldskool Cu-Base 5 (ie pre SX), Reason 4 amongst other VSTs so mixing and recording isn't anything that new to me but the chance to do true multi-track recording in a live environment for someone is a little daunting! I don't care live as I've done it for years but this is new.

I'm quite excited about all this and yes, I will be mixing the sessions and flogging them on! Extra cash for 'LIve from The Rigger'.. Excellent! :D

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1376600459' post='2176798']
As an older but cheaper alternative,the RME digi96/52 cards do 16in and out on adat,I'm using one myself to record direct from a desk with an adat card.
[i][b]Cost me £100 on eBay,they don't come up often though[/b][/i].
[/quote]

I'll keep an eye out for one of those as well although a MK2 motu finished at £150 the other day. Bargains all round.

To be fair it will be an on going thing as such if I want to take it all somewhere else on another gig when I'm not at the Rigger then I can. Although..... I might ask my friend Stu as he's quite into this idea.

Aaaarrrrgggh maybe, I don't know! Ha! :lol:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RME-Digi-9636-52-with-AEB-I-O-/221265269734?pt=UK_Musical_AudioMIDI_Interfaces&hash=item33847013e6#ht_425wt_958"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RME-Digi-9636-52-with-AEB-I-O-/221265269734?pt=UK_Musical_AudioMIDI_Interfaces&hash=item33847013e6#ht_425wt_958[/url]

Like this? Currently £12.50!