Why become a member? ×

Good Luthier in the Brighton Area?

PauBass

I asked this on the recommended luthiers thread but no replies so far so I'll try starting a new thread :rolleyes:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]My '66 Fender Jazz bass could do with a fret-dress.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm in the Brighton area, any suggestions who best to take it to? (I know Bernie Goodfellow but not for me this time)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Any feedback on Graham Wheeler in Worthing?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Any other good luthiers in the area, please? [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks![/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='PauBass' timestamp='1376406048' post='2173476']
I asked this on the recommended luthiers thread but no replies so far so I'll try starting a new thread :rolleyes:

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]My '66 Fender Jazz bass could do with a fret-dress.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I'm in the Brighton area, any suggestions who best to take it to? (I know Bernie Goodfellow but not for me this time)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Any feedback on Graham Wheeler in Worthing?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Any other good luthiers in the area, please? [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Thanks![/font][/color]
[/quote]

Just out of interest and as I am in Brighton - why not Bernie Goodfellow this time ?

[quote name='rmorris' timestamp='1377530772' post='2188519']
Just out of interest and as I am in Brighton - why not Bernie Goodfellow this time ?
[/quote]

Let's say he's not very fond of Vintage Fenders :rolleyes:

A few years ago my '78 jazz bass suffered from some fret buzz on some of the upper frets, I took the bass to him, he did some work on the frets and I collected the bass. The bass played well but after 2-3 months the buzz was back. I went to his shop again so he could have a look and, to my surprise, he asked me who had done that bad job on the upper frets, I told him it had been him and he refused to accept it, no way he had done it and in fact he got a bit upset with me.

Edited by PauBass

Graham Wheeler did a great respray on a Precision of mine once and he's looked after some pretty famous peoples guitars.
There's also Simon Farmer at GUS Guitars in Heathfield. I don't take my guitars and basses anywhere else nowadays.

Just seen an ad on gumtree for a guitar repair/set up/etc chap in Brighton. No idea if he's any good but might be worth having a chat.

[url="http://brightonguitarrepair.tumblr.com/"]http://brightonguita...air.tumblr.com/[/url]

Let me know how you get on. I may have need someone local at point!

Edited by Urban Bassman