Why become a member? ×

A Lakland Duck Dunn revelation

niceguyhomer

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='218159' date='Jun 13 2008, 10:49 AM']Nice, thanks.
I think the Fralin looks a lot nicer than the DS you had on it.

Think ill go and order one now.[/quote]

Thanks. I think it sounds much smoother too. I bought it as a set with the matching LF bridge jazz pick-up and am curently in the process of getting quotes for the routing/drilling.

[quote name='obbm' post='218163' date='Jun 13 2008, 10:55 AM']Thanks. I think it sounds much smoother too. I bought it as a set with the matching LF bridge jazz pick-up and am curently in the process of getting quotes for the routing/drilling.[/quote]

Now thats a good idea. Good luck with that.

Right.
just ordered my pearl white PG, should be hear in a few weeks i guess.
According to Roger they shield the dearer PG but not the cheap ones.

Just put the Elixir's on my DD as well. I was really struggling with those Laklands. first time though. I found i was getting a lot of clanking as i was fretting.
I must say these new strings seem quite a bit stiffer, not sure i mind actually. Makes a change to what im used to

Just wanted to update this post and say how happy i am with the Elixir's. My tone on sat was very even across all strings and very punchy.
Renewed my love for the DD again.

Edited by dave_bass5

• 2 weeks later...

Damn and blast.

Just got my Pearl white PG from roger and it wont fit. The pup holes arent quite big enough.
Ill not send it back as its too much hassle.

Am i right that i can just use a file and make them slightly bigger? Its less than 3mm but i just cant get it to sit flush on the bass.

Also, i ended up pulling a green wire off the tone pot. I soldered it back and all is well but what a waste of an hour.

[quote name='obbm' post='226302' date='Jun 24 2008, 10:52 PM']File away, carefully.[/quote]

Yeah. Ill get around to it soon but for now i cant be bothered to take it all apart again.
Luckily i still have the original PG so i can go by that and not have ot take the black one off for now.

[quote name='obbm' post='226310' date='Jun 24 2008, 11:00 PM']I'm sure I said this a long time ago but bolt the old and the new guards together and using the old one as a template gently open up the hole in the new to match the old one.[/quote]

exactly what i intend to do, at some point.

As i went to take the black PG off last night i thought how nice the bass looked with it on. when I had the new one almost in place it seemed like a different bass.
and while i like the look of it im now in two minds what to go for.
The PW looks much more classy though and it will end up on the bass at some point.

Edited by dave_bass5

Dave - just a thought mate - I'm probably going to keep my DD (F*** the band) so before you start drilling, make a drawing of the pearly white and fax it to me (will PM if interested). If it fits mine without any mods, I'll give you full whack for it and you can then order another one that fits correctly.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='226471' date='Jun 25 2008, 09:35 AM']Dave - just a thought mate - I'm probably going to keep my DD (F*** the band) so before you start drilling, make a drawing of the pearly white and fax it to me (will PM if interested). If it fits mine without any mods, I'll give you full whack for it and you can then order another one that fits correctly.[/quote]

homer.
Thanks for the suggestion. just been talking to a work mate and he has the tools to sort this out for me so im going to give it to him to fix.
Its really only about 2mm on two sides of the E-A part of the pup hole that needs widening.
If i dont like it once its on ill PM you if you still want it.I wont want much for it but i have a feeling ill keep it.

Still lovin the elixir's. they have brought a renewed interest to the DD and its a pleasure to play again.

Edited by dave_bass5

Well i got the PG on. just.
Decided to give it a go myself. took almost two hours of filing away. Had to put a few screws in at a slight angle but it doesn't show.
Just as i finished putting it all back together i found a bloody spring washer that i had left off the jack input. Oh well.
At least its all working now.

The bass looks nice but im still not sure ill keep it on. Some people are never happy eh?

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='241221' date='Jul 16 2008, 08:22 PM']Wow, thats cool.
Was it easy to do? That would suit me.
I like the pots as well.

Nice one.[/quote]

Step 1.

Buy the bits.

- Matching Lindy Fralin jazz pick-up (or my case the whole set).
- Pair of stacked 250K/500K CTS pots plus a pair of individual 250K CTS pots.
- 2 sets of stack knobs.

Step 2.

Take off strings, scratch plate and neck and store carefully.
Pack and send body and pick-up to the Gallery with instructions to route for jazz pick-up, supply and fit side jack and battery box (just in case of future mods).

Step 3.

While waiting for body to return:

- Dismantle 250K/500K and 250K pots.
- Re-assemble stack knob pots with 250K track from single pot instead of 500K to give 250K/250K.
- Assemble pots onto scratch-plate and wire using 0.03uF capacitor in bridge tone and .05uF capacitor in neck tone control.

Step 4.

When body returns, fit pickups and neck.
Wire pick-ups to pots, fit scratch plate.
Restring, tune and test.

Step 5.

Enjoy :)

[quote name='obbm' post='241235' date='Jul 16 2008, 08:39 PM']Step 1.

Buy the bits.

- Matching Lindy Fralin jazz pick-up (or my case the whole set).
- Pair of stacked 250K/500K CTS pots plus a pair of individual 250K CTS pots.
- 2 sets of stack knobs.

Step 2.

Take off strings, scratch plate and neck and store carefully.
Pack and send body and pick-up to the Gallery with instructions to route for jazz pick-up, supply and fit side jack and battery box (just in case of future mods).

Step 3.

While waiting for body to return:

- Dismantle 250K/500K and 250K pots.
- Re-assemble stack knob pots with 250K track from single pot instead of 500K to give 250K/250K.
- Assemble pots onto scratch-plate and wire using 0.03uF capacitor in bridge tone and .05uF capacitor in neck tone control.

Step 4.

When body returns, fit pickups and neck.
Wire pick-ups to pots, fit scratch plate.
Restring, tune and test.

Step 5.

Enjoy :)[/quote]

Ah, so nothing to it then.

Cheers.
If i decide to get that done im more likely to take the whole bass to the Gallery and get them to do the lot.
Im a bit rubbish when it come to doing things like soldering, cutting and even playing.

My girlfriend wouldnt accept that the pic was of someone elses bass. Apart from the fact that she didnt notice the jazz pup it looks like we have the same couch.

Edited by dave_bass5