Why become a member? ×

Basics of slap bass.

I'm a real slap-bass thicky and only just getting around to playing it. Seen a few slap bass lessons on youtube and pretty much they advise to play pull offs with the index finger. I feel more comfy playing the pull off with the forefinger and rather like the idea of having the index free as I hopefully improve.

As it is really early days for me, is this advisable or better to train myself to pull off with the index? At the moment I'm working at getting the Dexter Redding line "The Awakening" mustard. It's all there but I fall to bits with the slap as my communication between thumb and fretting goes naff.... However, I have found the more relaxed I play, the better I get...

Any tips gratefully received for this here slap bass thicky.....

You'll probably progress to pulling off with both at some point anyway...certainly for an easy version of a triplet lick..
I use the middle finger now for general use as I like the funkiness that that seems to give me
over the index finger pull-offs.so I wouldn't worry about it all as long as you get the LH/RH syncopation going.

[quote name='funkybassman2020' timestamp='1375757787' post='2165250']
I'm a real slap-bass thicky and only just getting around to playing it. Seen a few slap bass lessons on youtube and pretty much they advise to play pull offs with the index finger. I feel more comfy playing the pull off with the forefinger and rather like the idea of having the index free as I hopefully improve.

As it is really early days for me, is this advisable or better to train myself to pull off with the index? At the moment I'm working at getting the Dexter Redding line "The Awakening" mustard. It's all there but I fall to bits with the slap as my communication between thumb and fretting goes naff.... However, I have found the more relaxed I play, the better I get...

Any tips gratefully received for this here slap bass thicky.....
[/quote]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lIbvj2EBqM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lIbvj2EBqM[/url]

In my opinion there are just few guide points to follow when you learning to play a new technique, hands positions, sounds to get, etc, are always relevant but first of all never forget two important points:
- playing technique are always personal and individual, way to play it can't be the same for everyone so, you need always to be comfortable when you play;
- when you play, it doesn't matter what kind of technique, if you reach a nice sound, that's it, don't worry if the way you playing is different than others.
Cheers. Enrico

Edited by enricogaletta