Why become a member? ×

Which amp to choose.

Markolinni

HEllo Everyone.

I'm sourching for options to a new lightweight amp to play live at pubs and eventually live.
My main concern is power/quality vs lightweight/price.
I had a carvin stack (bx1200 + 2x10 + 1x15) that i've sold because was to much power and weight to play at pubs.
It has been bought to play mainly at live stages, so i need power.

Now, since i need lightweight because my back problens, but with quality and power, this is why i need help.
Here, in Portugal is very difficult to try equipment, because there are few stores and without stock :(

So, my type of sound i'm seeking is a more vintage lo-fi (i don't like that bright sound, metallic sort of, to came close, e turn of the horn, and play with dead strings).
The thing that i've heard that came that close is the Genz Benz Streamliner - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urvdCExs2kI - Here is Ed Friedland Review

My basses are a G&L tribute L2500 with dead strings and a yamaha trb1005 that i haven't try yet (came from the carvin sell), but throught my desk mixer, cuting a littke hight and gain the boost, is the sound i like from him :)

So, my choicings that have came, based in my budget and choices that i was looking, are:

GB Streamliner, GB Shuttle
GK MB Fusion
Markbass LM3
Aguilar TH500

For the cabs, i was looking for:
2x GB Focus 112
2x GK Neo 112
2x TKS 112

1x GK MBE 212

Can help me to see what could fit best, manly to play at pubs, but if i need to a outdoor gig, can hear me (it will run thought a pa too).
One thing that i have seen, is to change the strings to Flats, to have a darker tone.

Thanks to all
Regards :)

I have a MarkBass F1 for sale on here. Happy to post to Portugal.

Light as a feather, but LOUD, LOUD, LOUD (500W @ 4ohm)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/213203-barefaced-big-one-andor-markbass-f1/page__p__2156714__hl__markbass%20f1__fromsearch__1#entry2156714"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/213203-barefaced-big-one-andor-markbass-f1/page__p__2156714__hl__markbass%20f1__fromsearch__1#entry2156714[/url]

Have a look at the TC BG250W head / cab or combo, you can dial in the tube tone or use the tone print function to get that vintage sound your after, they now have software that lets you to create your own tone prints, I think all tone prints are free, including the software.

Your looking at a cost of around £300 / £400

Cheers. :)

For the sound described, I reckon Genz Streamliner and Aguilar TH500 are the amps you`re looking for. From there, cab-wise, I`d look at cabs from the same brand.

My personal fave is Markbass. For some reason, although it sounds clear and quite clinical on its own, the sound translates into warm niceness in the mix. I too am not keen on sharp highs, and favour dead round-wounds, so wouldn`t want an amp that was too clear in the mix.

Hmm, about markbass, that looks like it sound nice. In hearing some video clips at youtube .
I have a friend, i thonk he have a markbass head (don't know the model), i will have to see :)
Have ssen at sale in thomann, the little mark 3 and the little mark tube (both 500w). I think they will be enought.
I see the markbass Big band, the SA450, also, but don't know the difference bettween all of them. just the power are all the same (500w/300w)
Can help me with this?

Now i will like to compare them with the streamliner , the shuttle, MB fusion, and the Tone HAmmer 500. Opinions, woul be nice ;)

@davehux - The F1 would be an possible option too. ;) i have to see ;)

Will the markbass match well for example with the GK Neo 112 cabs, or will be better the GB focus (they're ceramic magnets)

Thanks

Little Mark Tube is a great amp. As the name suggests, it has a control where you can blend between solid state, and tube. In all honesty, the tube isn`t that much, but it just adds some extra warmth and "hair" to the sound. The Little Mark 3 is also great but for me, the added tube facility means Little Mark Tube would get my money (in fact it did at one point). They are also plenty loud.

I`ve no experience of the cabs mentioned, but over on Talkbass many seem to rate pairing Markbass with GK. Not read much about Markbass & Genz together.