Why become a member? ×

Using a different head with a combo amp.

ChickenKiev

So, I'm looking for a new amp. I have a Hartke VX3500 combo, but I've been eyeing-up a head and cabinet as I don't really fancy the idea of gigging with a combo amp; apparently head and cab is the way forward for live performances, from what I've read. Not only that but I want something that's a little more transportable. That combo is honestly as heavy as sin, and I have a Mini, having such a huge combo is such a pain! I need to upgrade to a head and cab!

My girlfriend liked the look of Orange amps after seeing some in a Guitarist I was reading last week (despite knowing nothing about application) and she wondered if they did them in bass versions and if I would ever consider getting one. After a bit of research, I've seriously been eyeing up an AD200B mk3. They just look like a proper, great sounding, no nonsense bass amp.

They are a bit pricey though. I wouldn't be able to afford a cabinet as well straight away.

Would I be able to use the Orange head an use the Hartke as a cabinet for the time-being until I can get the corresponding Orange cab? I also heard that using different amps and cabs can colour your tone in a good way, so I might get a nice little thing going using two different manufacturers.

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Kiev.

[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][font="Arial"][size="3"][color="#2f2f2f"][font="Arial"][size="3"][color="#2f2f2f"][font="Arial"][size="3"][color="#2f2f2f"]Have a look at the Orange Bass terror range, I walked through our studio the other day and another band was using one, I stopped to tell the bass player how blummin great it sounded and despite its size it was blummin loud! Take a look at the TC electronics stuff as well, the B range comes with a small BG250w head (With tone print) or a bigger BH 500w head which if you get one cab they will give you another for free, but I think the deal is coming to an end soon. Next is the RH range which is a bit more expensive. Ashdown are a good one to look at as well, although they divide opinion some people don't like them and some people love em, I have had a few Ashdowns over the years and I got a great sound out of all of them. [/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][font="Arial"][size="3"][color="#2f2f2f"][font="Arial"][size="3"][color="#2f2f2f"][font="Arial"][size="3"][color="#2f2f2f"]The best thing about all the new "smaller" amps you can buy is it makes gigging so much easier, my TC RH rig all fits in the boot of my car and when set up its very very loud! So much less stress at gigs :) [/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][font="Arial"][size="3"][color="#2f2f2f"][font="Arial"][size="3"][color="#2f2f2f"][font="Arial"][size="3"][color="#2f2f2f"]As with anything, try before you buy, you will find "the one" soon enough :)[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#222222][font=Arial][size=2][font="Arial"][size="3"][color="#2f2f2f"][font="Arial"][size="3"][color="#2f2f2f"][font="Arial"][size="3"][color="#2f2f2f"]Cheers[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color]

i think your main problem might be connecting the new head to the speaker in your combo, i've seen 2 different connection methods on combo's, one is that the connection is internal with the cable going from the speaker up into the chassis of the amp section and then wired straight into the amp, the other is that the wire exits the speaker section somewhere near the back of the amp and then plugs into the back of the amp with a standard 1/4" jack, if you have the first method then hooking up a different head is a much trickier operation, involving dismantling the combo and connecting a new cable to the back of the speaker (and disconnecting the original one)
if you have the second setup then you can simply unplug the lead and plug it into the new head, provided that the plug type is correct (quite a few new amps use the Speakon connector rather than a 1/4" jack) and provided that the lead reaches far enough to connect with the new head (most that i've seen have had very short leads)
you would also need to know the impedence of the speaker (in ohms) to ensure that you won't do any damage to the new head (the ad200 is all valve so matching the speaker ohm rating is very important)

My personal reccomendation is to get to a store and try out some amps, the terror bass is much cheaper than the ad200 so you should be able to afford a new cab to go with it. (and if you buy from the classified ads on basschat then you would probably have enough change left over to buy your girlfriends a nice meal out somewhere)

apologies for the rambling answer, one day i'll write a simple reply to a question!

Matt

ok i've just had a quick google (probably should have done that first!) and the combo you have has the speaker connected at the back, so you could unplug it and if it will reach then it could be plugged into another head (provided that the other head has a 1/4" speaker output)
the internal speakers are wired at 4ohms so it should be suitable for most heads on the market (but check first to avoid damaging something)

Matt

Okay thanks for the proper good advice. Yeah it does have a lead at the back. Had no idea that's what it was for! Really not an expert at these things but I'm slowly learning :D.

Now I like the look of those tc electonic amps! Argh, dilemma..

Might treat my gf to a meal with the change too. Top notch idea. I'm sure she'd prefer that over me getting a new amp :D

I think I might plumb for a Hartke HA5500 and a Hydrive 410. Love Hartke and I'm intrigued about the aluminium and paper 'hybrid cone'. Sounds like it'd be perfect for me as I play in a metal band and use a pick. Sounds like It'd make me break through the wall of distorted guitars.

At a later date I might get a Hartke LH500 and a splitter and designate it for bass and use the HA5500 for mid and treble.

As a quick question, is it possible to play two heads through one amp? Like, take the dry signal from my bass, split it into two channels and into two seperate amps, and then take both signals back into a third channel and take that to the amp? If it was possible it'd be cool as I'd be able to play two 500 watt amps into a 1000 watt cab. I understand Billy Sheehan does something similar but I understand he has a dual output bass, and that's just too damn pretentious for me!

If it wasn't possible I'd have to get a seperate Hydrive 115 cab for the LH500

TC RH 450 loads about on here will cut through granite if you set it up right also loads of useful stuff like a built in tuner compressr and decent overdrive. Plus three sound memories plenty loud enough too. Then save fo some cabs. I plug mine into the studios old fender bxr combo for rehearsal and its sounds great. As for to many watts for your combo right now thats what the vol knob is for lol. It drives 4ohm fine

You can certainly split your signal and run it to separate amps, but don't try then running the amps into a single cab! You'd effectively be connecting the two power stages of your amps together, which would release the magic smoke. There are some cabs which have separate inputs to differently sized speakers and are intended to be biamped, but the vast majority of cabs don't have that facility.

Separate stacks and you're safe to go. :)

Magic smoke?? But that sounds awesome :D.

I get what you're saying. I'll get a seperate amp for the LH500 at a seperate date. Wouldn't be for a while though. But I'm sure everyone has a 'dream rig' that they think about and would love to have if money were no object :D.

Thanks for the help.

The TC stuff looks cool, but the 4x10 is really titchy looking.. Looks like it'd be a foot off the ground, which is handy for my car, but live it will look like I'm playing through a practice amp! Not only that but I have some effects pedals and I've heard mixed reports that TC amps don't have an effects loop, which is pretty much a fundamental flaw..

I cannot remember the band but I watched a video about a metal band who preferred the TC stuff over Ampeg because the TC amp tracked better when drop tuning etc..

Here are the TC artists
[url="http://www.tcelectronic.com/artists/bass-artists/"]http://www.tcelectronic.com/artists/bass-artists/[/url]

I would go for the 2x12 / 2x10 set up, that way you can stack the cabs vertically, this is an absolute god send at gigs when you cannot get monitoring (Which can often be the case on the smaller gigs!) as the cabs push the sound at your head, it really makes a huge difference.

There is something here about the effects loop and RH450, a potential solution?

[url="http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/11584/effects-loop-on-rh-450/"]http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/11584/effects-loop-on-rh-450/[/url]