Why become a member? ×

Warwick Hellborg amps and cabs

bassjamm

Thanks for the input guys!!

Had rehearsal tonight, had a chance to A/B the SVT and the SVP (powered via my Hartke HA2000), both were used through my Dr Bass RX1260. Well, as for 'farting'...the SVT seems to have stopped giving me jip with it now, there wasn't really any, and i had it cranked! But the SVP/Hartke set-up did...i think this was more due to the slightly more aggressive nature of this set-up. So it appears the cabs may be alright after all...i'm yet to really push them with the new valves and set-up though. The SVT-II (non pro) definately sounds a lot nicer than the SVP set-up, it's just a lot warmer and more velvet like, where as the SVP is more forced, a more growlier tone...it's perfect for fretless though!!!

I'm in a new predicament now though...weight is becoming an ever increasing issue, especially since i'm feeling more pain my back as a result of a silly driver last year!!! The SVT may be needing to be replaced :s...it's all go!

You never see Ampeg and light weight in the same sentence unless there is a not in there as well.

Funny thing is they were one one of the first to do silly light weight stuff but they made a marketing mistake by calling it Portabass (well it put me off anyway) and the one I tried was crap and farted like a very farty thing after a curry.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='220907' date='Jun 17 2008, 08:13 PM']I doubt your preamp valve would be the cause of the noise from your cab, I think you are safer assuming the former, that it was the speaker complaining. There are better valve experts on here than me who may be able to give more insight but speaking from 28 years experience (not all of it dedicated to valve amps but I've had my share); generally when preamp valves go they lose top end first and you'll get microphonic noise, I've not encountered a preamp valve inducing 'farting'![/quote]
Just for reference and I'm not saying it's particularly common, but I had a problem with a Boogie amp that caused preamp valves to get prematurely knacked - which definitely going inducing a 'farting' sound!

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='222081' date='Jun 19 2008, 12:58 PM']You never see Ampeg and light weight in the same sentence unless there is a not in there as well.[/quote]

SVT 8 Pro.... Full on valve preamp and DClass power amp.. about time too!!!!! I'm guessing it would sound nearly as good as my SVP and Powersoft poweramp did.