Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Bb414 v 424

Greggo

I've had GAS for a yammy bb series and today tried out a bb414 and BB424. The 414 is an Olympic white pristine second hand which I think I can get with what I will trade without coughing up more but the 424 would likely be a fair bit more. (money I don't have!)

Apart from neck and the through body is there much difference between the two? Are pickups the same? Only difference I could tell in tone is 424 was slightly louder but that could have been age of strings.

Edited by Greggo

I have a 414 and a 1024, and have played the 424. Honestly I reckon the 414 would be the one to go for. The neck is slimmer and easier to move around. The pups on my 414 are defo louder than my 1024 with same strings and setup. My 1024 just has something about it that raises the bar, build and tone I think. Between the 2 you mention I don't think the 414 won't disappoint in any way.

Yes the neck is lovely in the 414 compared to 424,it seemed a bit nicer finished too. Might be a moot point though the shop still wanted money on top of the 3 guitars in wanted to trade. Probably have to sell private to make this happen!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1375189638' post='2157858']
I didn't realise the 414 had a slimmer neck - I love the neck on my 415, hope the 1025 I'm looking to get one day is the same dimensions!
[/quote]
As I understand it the necks are Identical between the 42x and 102x ranges. Just the nut and possibly the tuners and fretwork differ.
However I believe there is a neck difference between the 41x and 102x ranges.

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1375188133' post='2157826']
Yes the neck is lovely in the 414 compared to 424,it seemed a bit nicer finished too. Might be a moot point though the shop still wanted money on top of the 3 guitars in wanted to trade. Probably have to sell private to make this happen!
[/quote]
Blimey they appear to be hard work lol. For info I paid £150 for a fab condition black 414 on here, and I've seen others go for similar amounts. The metallic orange is particularly delightful!

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1375191991' post='2157906']
Blimey they appear to be hard work lol. For info I paid £150 for a fab condition black 414 on here, and I've seen others go for similar amounts. The metallic orange is particularly delightful!
[/quote]

Thats good to know actually - they were basically offering me £200 for two basses and a six string and asking for another £70 for the BB414!

Those orange ones look really nice.... I think I'm going to try and be patient and sell privately my Yammy , Vintage and Ibanez and raise cash that way, hopefully will have cash left over if I can get one for £150 (or alternatively see if can get a second hand 10xx series???)

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1375207443' post='2158230']
I paid three fifty for my used 1024 with hard case last Christmas. Look around for a bargain, bobbyk has a 424 for sale here at a very good price.
[/quote]
Now that's what I call a bargain!

Very much so. May make a point if dropping in and telling them so. Picked up bass this morning not plugged in yet but only issue can see so far is the selector switch is a but iffy, seems loose and although selects positions it doesn't stay in position (kind of falls) but I'm sure that will be an easy fix?

I think may need a toggle switch replacement as looks like the plastic switch bay has snapped a connector. WIll get something more heavy duty.

Spotted another issue - the bridge pickup was in the boddy and and realised the adjusting screws are missing.

Does anyone know what type of screws/springs suitable for the bridge pu on this bass?