Why become a member? ×

Rotosound Solo Bass pressurewound strings

TRBboy

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have experience of these strings (or similar alternatives)? I like the idea of them, but wonder how well they work in practice? Are they anywhere near as bright as roundwounds? What's the tension like?

Thanks for your input! :D

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1374615522' post='2151036']
My only memory of them is that they felt exactly like roundwounds!
[/quote]

Ah, thanks. How did they sound compared to rounds? Just noticed D'addario do some too, but all of these half round strings seem to bea lot more expensive than their roundwound counterparts.....

I used to use them, and my tech once made positive comments about them. I wanted the brightness of steels but without the fret-eating side effect. In the end I switched to either steel flats or nickel rounds, as I don't think the pressure wounds justified the extra cost, nor did I feel that they filled a vacant niche in the string market.

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1374618499' post='2151100']
I used to use them, and my tech once made positive comments about them. I wanted the brightness of steels but without the fret-eating side effect. In the end I switched to either steel flats or nickel rounds, as I don't think the pressure wounds justified the extra cost, nor did I feel that they filled a vacant niche in the string market.
[/quote]

Interesting, did you find steel flats to be comparable to nickel rounds in terms of brightness and snapiness then? I've always assumed that any flats sound quite dull (for want of a better word). Would you be able to play slap convincingly on steel flats!? The mind boggles....

I had them on a fret less Stingray. The tension of the strings was fine and much better than some types of flatwounds which can be too tight for my liking.

They give a similar sound to round wound but are less harmful to the fretboard on a fret less.

All that said i have reverted to Ernie Ball flatwound group 3 on my fret less and prefer these. They have similar tension to round wounds and have sufficient bite and thump and give enough mwah for my taste. The solo bass had a little more bite and gave a little more mwah but were less kind on the fretboard.

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1374627945' post='2151171']
Sorry, the point I was trying to make was that if I want brightness and growl I go for rounds. If I want plummy thump I go for flats. I don't see much benefit in choosing a string that claims to fort somewhere in between.
[/quote]

That makes more sense! :D

I use them on my fretless jazz. They are definitely more like rounds than flats, but are still in between in a sense, they don't feel that smooth and do wear the fretboard a little bit. However they do sound like a mix of rounds and flats as they should, and i've had them on for a year and a half and they still sound great!