Why become a member? ×

Steinberger L2 for sale

karlclews

Hi all,

Regretfully, I'm selling my Steinberger L2 bass. This is one of the original graphite composite headless basses built in the Newburgh facility in New York, with EMG pickups. NOT one of the many inferior wood copies that proliferated later.

I bought this second-hand from a seller in the US about two years ago, having spent a long time looking for one. I've gigged it only once, but used it extensively in the studio. The previous owner gigged it a lot.

It dates from the early 80s, and as you would expect of a bass of that age, it's not cosmetically perfect: the white Steinberger logo has long since rubbed off, and at some point a small chip appears to have been taken out of the lower bottom back corner and repaired (see photo - lord only knows how that happened - these things are practically indestructible!). The previous owner neglected to mention this in his auction, but it really hasn't bothered me. The repair's good and solid.

Like many of its vintage, it's also missing the plug-in leg rest. Again, this hasn't been an issue for me, since I always play standing up and the innovative boomerang pivot strap assembly is all working fine. On the strap, the bass balances like a dream - one can only wonder why more guitar manufacturers didn't adopt a similar strap system!

Sonically and functionally, this bass is in perfect working order. The tone is as bright and pristine as you'd expect of a graphite bass - it's a fantastic slap-machine - but roll off the treble and you've got a classic dub reggae sound. The two volume controls (one for each pickup) and the tone knob are smooth and silent.

If I could afford to keep this, I would, but the credit crunch and a growing family force a sale. This is your chance to own not just an iconic musical instrument but a piece of design history.

Any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm keen for this to go to a good home. Photos available on request.

Thanks for looking,

Karl
www.myspace.com/harambe
www.myspace.com/karlclews

Well, the starting bid [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Original-Steinberger-L2-headless-bass-guitar_W0QQitemZ130229625482QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]on eBay[/url] is £750. I'm presuming it's the same bass, because the text description is word-for-word.

There are photos there too. It looks strangely familiar, as if I've seen it on eBay before...

Karl,

It would help massivley if we knew a bit more about you, and we could pick up your details from your profile.

Are we correct in assuming that its the one on ebay? if so a link to that sale would be nice. Also if you are considering offering any discount or deas to BC members.

I'd love an L2 but judging by the pics on ebay this one has had a hard life to date. ????

Bob.

Karl and I have some mutual contacts and he's reasonably well known within certain funky musical circles in London. Hope you'll stick around Karl and not just use the forum for selling gear.

• 7 months later...