Why become a member? ×

80's Tokai Hardpuncher & 1996 Japan Fender Precison

Jonesy64

I'm very interested in two guitars currently up for sale, both £400 give or take so top of my budget until I can shift some more gear.

The Tokai is for sale in the classifieds (Fitzy73) and the Fender is here....http://basschat.co.uk/topic/211484-gorgeous-1996-fender-japan-precision/page__pid__2133958#entry2133958

This would be my first Bass.

Pro's and con's for owning either as a first bass?

Can you easily get replacement Hardpuncher pickguards? (I really like black and tort)

Cheers, Mark.

They're both excellent choices if you're looking for a Precision.

The MIJ Fenders are in many peoples opinion (mine included) the best available quality-wise, and the Tokai will most likely also be as good.

As far as choice goes I guess it will come down to aesthetics, but those early 80s Tokai models are becoming more sought after so might possibly be a better investment.

Replacement scratchplates shouldn't be a problem, but you could always get Bassdoc on here to make you a tort one using your original as a template - it would be better quality than a shop bought one.

I`ve had both, for me the Fender wins, but that`s because I`m just nuts about Fender Precisions. The necks in particular on MIJ Precisions are very nice.

As Rhys states, those Tokais are very sought after, and will no doubt become more so, so could be a wise investment. And, having bought my Hardpuncher from Fitzy73, he`s a top guy to deal with.

Spares for the Fender will be easier to source however if you go for the Tokai and want a replacement pickguard our very own Bass Doc would no doubt be able to assist.

With regards to either being a first bass - great. Many bassists are happy to stop at this point with either of them, and have them as their main gigging basses. Plenty good enough to be anyones main axe.

The Tokai is going to be easier for me to get hold of as the Fender is collection only from Blackpool. I'm up there for the Rebellion festival in August but I cant wait that long :lol: . Fingers crossed for the Tokai then, I have pm'd the seller...

[quote name='Jonesy64' timestamp='1373825405' post='2141992']
All sorted, should be here sometime next week, thanks for the replies. Jonesy gets his first bass, hurray!

Could you point me in the direction of 'bassdoc' please?
[/quote]

Yes, go to messages, when it asks for the recipient his name is The Bass Doc - once you get to "The Bass" it should bring up the rest anyway. His name is Howard and he`s a really nice guy, and very good at the service he provides.