Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

GK 200MB Cuts out

My Gallien Krueger Combo 200MB cuts out suddenly when I'm playing, think it happens when it peaks even if I'm not at full volume. It then slowly returns to life. The worst kind of fault is an intermittent fault and I can't use it again til I've sorted it out.
Has anyone experienced this problem before? I love the sound and would like to be able to use it for small gigs.
Would be grateful to hear from anyone who knows whats going on.

As a fan of GK amps (mine are old though) I'll give my stock answer; try putting a jumper patch lead between the FX send and return jack. It's cured both of mine doing funny intermittent splutters, cut outs etc. Like many people with these amps the patch lead just becomes a permanent fixture.
It's worth a try with a spare lead just in case, might save you visiting an amp tech. Admittedly, it's older amps that get quirky in this area, there's a switching jack on the return socket; a Switchcraft on the old 400/800RBs.
Good luck!

I got the idea off, ahem, Talkbass. There's seems to be a school of thought that if you buy an old GK, jumper the FX loop as a matter of routine. Our local tech says that other amps suffer from this also.
With both of my amps the onset of the problems( cut outs, very scratchy pots, all sorts of heartstoppers) was all very sinister, the patch lead sorted it all out. At the very least it sounded like problem was with the gain or master pot, the more you turned the dials the worse it manifested itself. Lo and behold the jumper cured it.
They are great sounding amps, I'm sure the 200mb is also.
If it isn't cured by the solution I've given try and have a word with Polar Audio, their distributors. I've found them very helpful, I had to source a hard to get UK mains transformer to convert mine from 120v and they sorted it.

Edited by The fasting showman

Not just GK's - many amps where the effects loop isn't used. Often just pushing the plug in and out a few times cleans the contacts enough to solve the problem. I think the return socket usually does the switching..but do both anyway?

Great little amp.