Why become a member? ×

Amp problem

adyshaker

I'm new here, just wondering if anyone can help me.

I've got a very old HH VS Combo amp. They were first sold in the 70s, I've had it for a good 15 years and it's been an absolute workhorse, never had a problem with it. Until yesterday, switched it on and the amp lit up but I'm not getting anything out of the speaker. Plugged a lead from the head to another speaker and it works so it looks like the issue is with the speaker rather than the amp. My question is, does anyone know if it can be repaired ? Myself and our drummer speng hours trying to get inside the sodding thing last night to see if it anything obvious but couldn't even get in it !

I really don't want to get a new amp, because I love this one and I can't afford a new one.

It will be tricky for anyone to say for certain without looking at the amp. Take it to your local repair guy. They should pretty quickly be able to tell you if it's a quick fix or you need a new speaker. In my experience, they won't charge for this initial diagnosis. Sounds unlikely you'll need a whole new combo.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/198-recommended-amp-techs/