Why become a member? ×

Well matchmaking now comes to musicians... believe it or not

Grand Wazoo

No trying to be deliberately off-hand here, but there are plenty of sites online offering this sort of service. I've tried a few in the past (looking for vocalists) and have found them to be largely useless.

My advice for anyone wanting to find like-minded collaborators online would be to use SoundCloud. Search within the genre you're interested in, find people whose music you like and contact them direct. It's worked for me on numerous occasions.

Most folks who use SoundCloud are genuinely passionate about music and up for collaborating. Most folks who use music match-making sites are expecting a call from Dr Dre any day now, and will act with that precise level of self importance.

Just my experience. Others may beg to differ. Well, not actually beg, but y'know... ;)

I did a similar thing in the days of MP3.com (remember them?) when I was looking for people to remix my dance/rock band. We had a manga/anime image and so I thought it would be cool if I could find a Japanese DJ or electronic musician to remix us. A couple of hours searching turned up a handful of interesting candidates, two of whom got back in touch almost immediately. I sent them stems (on a CD by snail mail IIRC!) and a couple of months later I received a CD from each with some outstanding remixes on it!

If the Soundcloud community is as good as the MP3.com was then this would definitely be the way to go.

I found my latest band through bandmix. They're pretty good. 2 gigs done and 4 more booked. You have go wade through a lot of no hopers and the obvious time wasters and tyre kickers like any joining process.

The band I joined previously were through word of mouth, recommendations and people I'd played with before. It never got past 4 rehearsals...