Why become a member? ×

Vertical two speaker cab's/stacked/modular

matybigfro

Just wanted to hear peoples thoughts on this, ever since i first laid eye's on the TC electronic Rebel cab's I thought that it's a pretty neat idea, but how does it sound. Those RH cab's look sweet and I like the idea of nearer ear level drivers and smaller foot print although i also worry that they look too easy to knock over on a wobbly stage? Would be interested to compare these the new TC cab's and something like the Ampeg SVT210AV's.

Any other vertically stacking cab's I should check out?

Edited by matybigfro

Guest bassman7755

Cant see that they would be any less stable than say PA speakers on high stands so cant see it being an issue myself.

As a guitarist in a functions band a while back, I used a hefty 2x12 combo on an amp stand, with a small FX rack on top of the combo. After one particularly hair-raising gig where this rig was dancing around on the back of a farm trailer, I took to lashing the whole lot together with one of those locking luggage strap thingies.

done it, and consider the kind of low frequencies that can go through it and that I have put through similar cabs(including 2 SVT 210AVs) they are fine stacked, not once have I feared them falling over.

considering how light the SVT 210s are though I wouldn't trust knocking into them, but most of the time the bass rig is sat at the back far away from crazy people, plus getting those small sealed things next to a wall will help your LF 2 fold.

I think anything that tall with enough force going into it is bound to fall over though, regardless of how light. I never worried and I've played some tiny stages.

Would love to know how people rate these 2x10/12 vert cabs particularly the two TC electronic offerings and the ampeg. really like the idea of taking less space up on stage and having a modular option where i can take one or two cab's to gig, I'd love to know if you stacked four of the ampegs how close they sound to a fridge

[quote name='matybigfro' timestamp='1373154695' post='2134271']
Would love to know how people rate these 2x10/12 vert cabs particularly the two TC electronic offerings and the ampeg. really like the idea of taking less space up on stage and having a modular option where i can take one or two cab's to gig, I'd love to know if you stacked four of the ampegs how close they sound to a fridge
[/quote]

Well I started with two markbass 210 travellers, but struggled with the rear porting, so switched to the ampeg ones so porting was not an issue.
Sound quality wasn't as good, but close to a fridge? I think so, but if you look at our 'everyday' live vid on YouTube.com/CutTheHeroicsUK then you can clearly hear one being used more than very effectively.

These kind of stacks I always described them as loud as a 4x10 but with the clarity of a 2x10.

[/quote]
I have used a 2x1x12" rmodular rig a lot. Excellent set up. Will soon be ordering a second barefaced midget to complete this incarnation... :D

[/quote]

[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I have the RH750 head, RS210 and RS212 cabs, the RS212 is deeper so there is a "step" on the front when the RS210 goes on top, this helps push the sound at your head. I find it really nice, the sound travels well and the quality and tone is amazing. I think TC have really thought about amateur/semi pro musicians; often you turn up at gigs and your confronted with all sorts of weird and wonderful set ups (Sometimes no set up at all!), this rig enables you to keep the sound consistent and concise from gig to gig and If you don't have a monitor (which can often be the case as other band members tend to take priority) then your not worried as you have your own set up which nobody can mess about with, it even works well when you do outside gigs. It also speeds things up for quick sound and line checks, if your all set up, ready to go and you can hear yourself then there is less messing about with the sound guy trying to get the right mix through and generally less stress. I admit bigger gigs require monitoring and more time to get the mix right (which ultimately means a better on stage sound) but when your doing the smaller gigs, pubs and clubs the back line is enough to get a decent on stage mix and this amp really helps, however trying to get monitoring is always the preferred option.
Cheers.[/font][/size]

Edited by baseline9

I have 2 SVT210AV's and am a big fan of them - they don't have really deep lows however due to their sealed design, but that also stops them being too boomy on stage. Bear in mind that if you wanted to hook up four of them that would run at either a 8 or 2 ohm load in total, where most non tube amps dish out their highest power with a 4-ohm load and not many can handle 2 ohms.