Why become a member? ×

Neck relief check

Greggo

Nice to see him doing exactly as I said earlier as a relief check, no sign of him measuring anything beyond the 12th ;)

The other thing I picked up on and see on lots of basses on here and at gigs is this angling the saddles to the board, totally pointless and wrong with a round string in a rounded saddle slot, just raise the saddle to the height ,I like all my strings about 2.5mm off the 12th fret, B maybe a bit higher but don't angle the saddle.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Can I hi-jack this thread slightly? If I adjust my truss rod, should I be able to see an immediate difference? I've been trying to sort out the action on my Jazz for the last few days as it's far too high for me, and when the saddles are lowered the action's high over the first 12 frets or so, but then choke beyond the 14th fret. It seems to me that the neck is bent too far forward, but adjusting the truss rod doesn't seem to be doing much. That said, I'm not even sure I'm actually turning it. Its got headstock end access, but the nut sits that far down in the recess that I can't see into it. When I put the allen key in, it feels like it's slotting into the nut, but turning it clockwise it feels like it's turning slightly and then slipping out of the nut. Is it something I'm doing wrong? As far as I know, the truss has never been adjusted in the 8 years I've had it, never been in for a set up or anything like that.

Now you can see why a lot of people swear by the Musicman wheel of fortune truss rod adjuster! You should be feeling a fair bit of tension on the allen key as you turn it, 1/4 turn is enough quite often although with this weather it might need more but if you are seeing no difference then something is wrong, badly fitting tools are the worst enemy, my saddle screws are ruined on my Classic5 from people using the wrong size keys so I have ordered a new set but thats a £2200 bass being attacked with sh*te tools! Make sure you have the correct size allen key before going any further because once that head is rounded off you are poop :)