Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

ANYONE KNOW WHAT THIS BASS IS PLEASE??

BassManGraham

A friend of mine found this in an old cowshed in Ireland.
Think it is circa 1960-70s. It has 24 frets, a very thin body and seems like a fairly low quality budget model. Though pick-up seems quite decent
I initially thought it might be an early Teisco, Japanese or Framus European but had no joy googling for similar pics?
Looks like the aluminium truss rod cover and bridge plate might be custom-made later additions.
Probably not worth restoring. But very interested to see fellow bass chatters opinions.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by BassManGraham

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1372508772' post='2126577']
Looks almost homemade to me...
[/quote]

Thanks Steve. Yeah I'm beginning to think it might be homemade or substantially modified. But the serial number on the headstock suggests it's factory built or maybe a Frankenstien!

Edited by BassManGraham

[quote name='headofire' timestamp='1372510634' post='2126609']
Oh I like that, I've seen some Russian stuff on eBay that look similar but the 1/4" input suggests its European. Possibly Eko. If you look at the back of the pots that might give you an idea of origin
[/quote]

Thanks, I have searched EKO bass models but not yet come up with anything. It is a bit of a mystery so I might start taking it apart to gain a few more clues.

I've had a think about this and that bass has a similar body shape, pickguard, bridge and pickups as an Egmond Rambler. That's not to say it is one but now you have to see if perhaps someone copied an Egmond or that maybe they copied something.

Egmond made a bass with a similar body to the bass you have with headstock that had three a side tuners (gibson type) but also the Fender type that you have.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BassManGraham' timestamp='1372544283' post='2127116']
WOW BetaFunk you've nailed it. Many thanks. I've been playing for 40 years and never seen one before. Do you know when and where they were made? Cheers Graham
[/quote]
Egmond were made in Holland but a lot of them made it to the UK in the 50s and 60s branded as Rosetti. George Harrison and Brian May had Rosetti branded Egmonds.

I'm certainly no expert on these but have come across them in the past and i would think your bass must be from around 1960/1.

This is a good website:
[url="http://www.egmondguitars.nl/index.html"]http://www.egmondguitars.nl/index.html[/url]

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1372579051' post='2127284']
BC has risen to the challenge yet again, you guys never fail to impress. I told Graham to post the question here as I was confident someone would know. Anoraktastic!
[/quote]
I should get out more. :rolleyes:

I'll get me anorak. :D

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1372590996' post='2127440']
I think we all have a rainproof item of clothing on BC :)
[/quote]
That's true.

I was getting a bit worried the other day when i was discussing with someone where the strap button went on a 1960s VOX bass and that some players of that era moved them for better balance. Oh dear. :unsure: