Why become a member? ×

Guitar (Blues) Legends Seville 92

Big_Stu

From '91 - '92 during a very rough two years, two things lifted me. One was discovering the incredible Wolfstone; the other was seeing the opening night of "Guitar legends" at the Seville Expo '92.
That night I "discovered" the awesome sound of Albert Collins & the incredible stamina and showmanship of a 65 year old Bo Diddley; both of them sadly no longer with us.
I've often searched and hoped that the package would be released on DVD - since I genuinely wore out the video-tape I had of it.......... but someone has had the good sense to eventually put it on Youtube - in excellent clarity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IVbJa6LiwI

Hosted by Dave Edmunds & Steve Cropper, featuring Robert Cray, Albert Collins, Bo Diddley & BB KIng it's a magical hour & a half. I have vague memories of the jazz night (IIRC) featuring Jack Bruce do a great version of "City Of Gold" but also showing he doesn't know the words to "Can't Turn You Loose". The host says that's still to come.

Enjoy.

Great news! I had several of these on VHS but lost them many years ago. I will take a look later.

Didn't Phil Manzanera play Eric when Jack did the Cream songs? I recall sets from Roger McGuinn, Joe Cocker, Richard Thompson & Keith Richards with Charley Drayton on bass & Steve Jordan on kit. Thanks for this, looking forward to it already.

[quote name='PTB' timestamp='1372154632' post='2122184']Didn't Phil Manzanera play Eric when Jack did the Cream songs?[/quote]

I think it was his (Manzanera's) idea to do the whole thing; there's an hour long intro programme to it called "Guitar Legends", where they give a top flamenco player a Les Paul + stack to try out for the first time - he looks awestruck! Cropper takes a big part in it too IIRC; tells the story of when he struggled to find an intro to "Knock On Wood" so he played "Midnight Hour" backwards, "It's just joining the dots man". I'd never have dreamt when I saw it back then that I'd end up boozing & swapping emails with the guy.

[quote name='Steve G' timestamp='1372157704' post='2122221'].........the night that they had Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Brian May, Nuno Bettencourt and others on. Doubt it's lasted well.... Not thought to look for it on the tube.[/quote]

That's on there too. It seems to be a demo of the uploaders skills at converting video to digital.