Why become a member? ×

Nut?

Stan_da_man

Just put a new set of strings on my Jazz and have gone down from a 45-105 to a 40-100 gauge. Everything is fine except the A string sounds dead played open - fretted it sounds fine. Gave the nut a quick clean but that changed nothing... how do I stop it sounding dead?! Many thanks.

This is an inherent weakness in Fender and all other 4-in-line tuner basses. The A string has to be cut longer to come down right to the bushing or the A string will thump. My speculation is that this is why over the years A strings have been of strange gauges compared to the other strings in the set (for example, the T-I jazz flat is so loose compared to the E, D & G), and that for awhile Precision pickups had the "high A" polepieces. A much better design is to reverse the headstock, so the G has the most break angle over the nut for sustain and moderate "twang," and that it won't bind like the E string does, then the D string, then the A and E strings under the retainer that can be adjusted for position and height to the optimum afterlength and break angle.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1372082081' post='2121317']
The fault isn't with the tuners being 4 in-line it's to do with the headstock not being angled back. A cost-cutting construction measure devised by Fender and one which IMO is not longer relevant or appropriate nowadays.
[/quote]
That is the cure, not the origin of the problem. And it wasn't exactly cost-cutting, it was just the state of the art of the design for something that had not been invented before. Both Fender and Rickenbacker, which the origins of the 4000, like the P-bass, are also in the '50's, have the straight headstocks. It wasn't until Alembic took a new direction with exotic woods and active electronics that tilted back headstocks on basses, like those on Gibson and Martin guitars, started to come into their own.

Edited by iiipopes