Why become a member? ×

Do I need a compressor for this?

woodyratm

Hey guys,
I've started going down the dangerous road of fx again, i've got my distortions/fuzz sorted now but have noticed a little issue.
Is there anyway of getting a sound to be the same volume with each different pedal?

For example, i tend to run B7k + Oxide together for a clanky fuzz tone, then hit the oxide off for some other points. There seems to be a drop in volume, but if I increase the volume of the B7k - it throws off the volume with the fuzz.

Would a compressor resolve this? Any suggestions on compressors to look for (pedal only - no longer using a rack!)

PS - sorry if this has been done before - I searched but couldn't see anything to answer my question.

Ta

Dave

Try not doing that then? :D

If you set each pedal by themselves to unity gain then you should be able to combine them in series without a volume boost. But if each one is set to be say 10% louder when turned on, then turning them both on raises the volume 20% (well not precisely, but it's just an example!).

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1371736111' post='2117525']
Try not doing that then? :D

If you set each pedal by themselves to unity gain then you should be able to combine them in series without a volume boost. But if each one is set to be say 10% louder when turned on, then turning them both on raises the volume 20% (well not precisely, but it's just an example!).
[/quote]

Okay - to ask the question; How do you get unity gain?

Is this a case of clean tone being same as distorted tone? :unsure:

Unity Gain is a technical way of saying that your volume is untouched by the pedal.

Simply use your ears. Most pedals have a control which affects the output level ... whether it's called Gain or Level or Volume or Output.

Just set that control so that your volume is unaffected by whether or not the pedal is engaged.

OK, that's not as easy as it sounds with some types of effect, but you can still use your ears or - better - someone else's ears.

In answer to your initial question .... Yes, a compressor could do what you are hoping to do. BUT ..... at the expense of losing a shedload of dynamics in the process. So, not really suitable in reality.

As suggested, the only way is to twiddle and fiddle and try and get the same perceived volume between your sounds. I find the best way to do this is to play them along to some backing music.
I, and I think most others, find it notoriously difficult to compare volumes in different tones if just played solo. However, if played against a backing track of any sort, it's much easier to balance the perceived volume of your different tones to the backing music.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1371746091' post='2117689']
[size=4]As suggested, the only way is to twiddle and fiddle and try and get the same perceived volume between your sounds. I find the best way to do this is to play them along to some backing music.[/size]
I, and I think most others, find it notoriously difficult to compare volumes in different tones if just played solo. However, if played against a backing track of any sort, it's much easier to balance the perceived volume of your different tones to the backing music.
[/quote]

+1 to this. So many times I've set up what I think are equal volumes only to find they are way out when playing with a band.