Why become a member? ×

Drummer turns into a bassist

bennifer

Hey guys, just signed up and thought i'd post something in here.

I'm Ben, 21 years of age currently living between Camberley Surrey, my hometown, and Lincoln, where I go to uni taking a film course. I've been playing drums for 5 or so years now, a beautiful Premier Artist kit with Sabian cymbals. However i've got to the stage where living back in Camberley over summer, I can't really practise the drums that much as im back living with the parents and the noise is driving them nuts! I always planned on learning bass and only went to drums because a mate gave me a kit for free back when I was procuring an instrument. So now im doing both, bass being something I can practise in pretty much silence whenever I like, aka midnight when im bored and can't smash the drums.

An old college friend sold me an Aria bass that she believes is an IGB30, its totally mint, might as well have never been out of the box, not a single scratch, just 40 pounds - feels like a bargain and giving me something to learn on for fun. Don't have an amp at the moment but i've got a home recording studio setup so just running through my rack of bits and bobs and out of my monitors, running AmpegSVX at the moment for a bit of modelling.

Getting on quite well with the bass now, have been playing a couple of weeks and I think the rhythm from the drums has helped me loads, now im just getting my fingers past the point of severe pain, which I hope stops soon!

Anywho, thats enough of a rant, thats me done until I get a job sorted and can afford to look into some kind of nice amp :)

Welcome. We don't drink as much cheap cider as you may be used to and often lift our own gear, but other than that, rhythm is rhythm. There are a few other drummers here too. Don't do a search for drummer jokes though, you won't find any :huh: :)

Edited by johnnylager

Haha, come to think about it, I do drink a lot of cheap cider. Personally i'm quite the packhorse though, i'm one of the fussy ones that doesn't like other people touching my kit! Infact, i've been known to help out other bands at gigs - although i'm never getting involved with carrying an 8x10 ampeg cab down a narrow staircase into a cellar venue ever again!!!

Welcome to the world of BassChat.

Dont worry about your fingers, eventually they will blister then grow callus's and THEN you can play all the time without it hurting lol. (try not make it blister though, I used to put my fingers on ice or under a cold tap if they were feeling like they would blister. much easyer to get callus's if they dont blister.

[quote name='bennifer' post='213137' date='Jun 5 2008, 12:48 PM']Hey guys, just signed up and thought i'd post something in here.

I'm Ben, 21 years of age currently living between Camberley Surrey, my hometown, and Lincoln, where I go to uni taking a film course. I've been playing drums for 5 or so years now, a beautiful Premier Artist kit with Sabian cymbals. However i've got to the stage where living back in Camberley over summer, I can't really practise the drums that much as im back living with the parents and the noise is driving them nuts! I always planned on learning bass and only went to drums because a mate gave me a kit for free back when I was procuring an instrument. So now im doing both, bass being something I can practise in pretty much silence whenever I like, aka midnight when im bored and can't smash the drums.

An old college friend sold me an Aria bass that she believes is an IGB30, its totally mint, might as well have never been out of the box, not a single scratch, just 40 pounds - feels like a bargain and giving me something to learn on for fun. Don't have an amp at the moment but i've got a home recording studio setup so just running through my rack of bits and bobs and out of my monitors, running AmpegSVX at the moment for a bit of modelling.

Getting on quite well with the bass now, have been playing a couple of weeks and I think the rhythm from the drums has helped me loads, now im just getting my fingers past the point of severe pain, which I hope stops soon!

Anywho, thats enough of a rant, thats me done until I get a job sorted and can afford to look into some kind of nice amp :)[/quote]
MB1. :huh:
WELCOME!!!!
Drummer turns into Bassist????
............Called Beniffer?
Is this a Man Turning into a Woman? :huh:

The cold tap seems to be keeping the blisters down, I'll work through the pain until the pain is no more!

Bennifer is a nickname I got because my hair got so long it was almost like a womans - jennifer/ben hybrid!

Cheers for the welcome and look forward to getting involved on the board :) is there a way to search on here for members in your area? Especially stuff in the for sale!...

I had an attempt on drums for about a year,just fancied having a go,and did do a couple of dep gigs with a band,(think they were a bit forgiving tho)As you mention the noise when practising annoys everybody for some reason :dont know why.
Apart from not being good enough,it was the setting up and dismantling of the kit that put me off....but the experience was well worth it...
On one occassion the drummer was stuck in traffic and i set his kit up and sound checked it for him,the band was impressed.
So good luck with the bass playing

Edited by bassmanady

[quote name='bassmanady' post='213448' date='Jun 5 2008, 08:00 PM']I had an attempt on drums for about a year,just fancied having a go,and did do a couple of dep gigs with a band,(think they were a bit forgiving tho)That problem tho the noise when learning annoyed the neighbours :dont know why.
Apart from not being good enough,it was the setting up and dismantling of the kit that put me off....but the experience was well worth it...
On one occassion the drummer was stuck in traffic and i set his kit up and sound checked it for him,the band was impressed.
So good luck with the bass playing[/quote]
hi , i was a drummer in my teens played several bands ,always fancied bass but my mate was the bass player . took up bass about four years ago and love it . i find it has helped having drumming skills . welcome to a friendly bunch of lads and lasses, great site