Why become a member? ×

string tension

Jonny Walker

Hey all, I'm using an ESP Viper 4 sting which had the nut re-shaped to take the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string set (125 - 60) to keep the tension up as I tuned lower in my previous band. However I'm now in a band who's lowest tuning is drop d half step down and I was wondering if it would be wise it have a new nut fitted to allow for standard gauge strings as I'm not sure if the extra tension of the big strings tuned up so high would damage my neck over time or if standard gauge strings would buzz due to the scalloped nut? Any tips would be appreciated, Thanks :)

The D'Addario string tension guide is a useful reference to get an idea of overall load on the neck with particular gauges and tunings:

[url="http://daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf"]http://daddario.com/...chart_13934.pdf[/url]

See page 10, right hand column for XL nickel roundwound tensions at various tunings. This gives the following loadings:

40-60-80-100 at standard tuning - total string tension = 155.1 lbs
40-60-80-100 at drop D tuning - total string tension = 123.1 lbs
45-65-85-105 at standard tuning - total string tension = 182.8 lbs
45-65-85-105 at drop D tuning - total string tension = 145.1 lbs
50-70-90-110 at standard tuning - total string tension = 214.1 lbs
60-80-100-125 at drop D tuning - total string tension = 216 lbs

Using 60-125 gauge tuned up to drop D is roughly equivalent in tension to using a heavy set of 50-110 gauge at standard tuning. The neck should take it but you'll be significantly increasing the load so truss rod will definitely need to be tweaked. Personally I'd use a more regular gauge and tune down rather than tune up a 60-125 set.

The oversize nut slots may well rattle a bit with standard gauge strings. Only way to find out is to test it. Never know it may work OK.

Edited by ikay

The other thing to consider is that each string has a different tension when tuned to standard intervals.

If you look at the figures from those manufacturers that provide them, you'll find that in nearly all 5-string sets the D string normally has the highest tension followed by G, then A, E and finally B which has the lowest tension. That means that if you use the lowest 4 strings from this set the overall tension will be less than if you used the highest 4.

Many bassists make the mistake of thinking that thicker strings = higher tension when normally the reverse is true. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if when you had the nut adjusted for B-D stringing if the truss rod hadn't been slightly slackened at the same time.

A well made neck with a good adjustable truss rod should have no problem taking the extra tension of tuning your original gauges of strings up to their new pitch (you will of course need to adjust the truss rod). I would expect you to have more problems breaking strings if they are tuned up beyond their recommended tensions.

Drop D a half step down. Is that drop C# then. I would be wary of trying to tune a normal 60 gauge D string and trying to tune it up to F(d standard) or F#(drop C#. You could try the heavier gauge D'addario Balanced Tension 50-120 which I have found works well for detuning. You could also try the DR DDTs though these are fairly expensive in my opinion.

I've found that when tuning down, especially with drop D-type fingerings, that string tension issues are highlighted are lot more than in standard tuning. Thus I'm not sure that the 'use the bottom four strings of a five string set' will always work, especially in the 'drop C# down to Drop B' area. Making a custom set of strings for your own needs is probably the best bet.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1371138543' post='2110398']

Many bassists make the mistake of thinking that thicker strings = higher tension when normally the reverse is true. Therefore I wouldn't be surprised if when you had the nut adjusted for B-D stringing if the truss rod hadn't been slightly slackened at the same time.
[/quote]

As far as I am aware its true, if I want a low E with more tension I go up a few gauges, no?

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1371396544' post='2113322']
As far as I am aware its true, if I want a low E with more tension I go up a few gauges, no?
[/quote]

Yes.

Edit provided that it's same brand and type of string. Different brands and types of string will have different constructions and use different materials and therefore will have different tensions.

Edited by BigRedX