Why become a member? ×

OOPS

ChrisF

My bass exploded whilst I was playing it today :o
That will teach me to mess about trying out new strings all the time :blush:
Took me nearly an hour to put it all back together (including putting the original strings back on ) and get the bridge where I was happy with it.

I will never moan about luthiers again ;) :lol:

[attachment=136523:photo0092.jpg]

Blimey! But you are not alone... I didn't get to photograph the fallout from my unscrewing the back panel of my NS upright without slackening the strings. I was too busy scrabbling around trying to find the bits that had been catapulted all around the ground floor of my house! :(

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

Yep, keep an eye on the bridge while tuning up - particularly if you're changing sets of strings. The bridge top will gradually pull towards the nut. If you see any gap whatsoever, gently pull the bridge downwards to get the feet back into place. Don't give it a karate chop - if you have wound strings on and they are tight in the bridge slots, theres a good chance you'll break the windings and ruin the strings.

The bridge should be in line with the indents on the F holes. Anywhere else, you'll be missing the soundpost and won't have as good a response from the bass. Hope your soundpost didn't drop as well, as the hour you spent putting the bridge and strings back on will pale into insignificance compared to that job!

Edited by invicta59

That's the right place! Being slightly paranoic about dropping my soundpost ever since it fell down and I spent 30 minutes on my back in the hallway looking some abstract version of a Mutant Nija Turtle trying to retrieve the soundpost, I never take more than two string off at a time :)

The same thing happened to me on Friday night at Wimborne folk festival. A drunk punter tripped over the front of the stage right into my bass, taking out the bridge and dropping the soundpost. Luckily it was halfway through the last song so the gig wasn't completely screwed. also very luckily managed to get my local luthier to re-set the soundpost and bridge in time for Saturday night's gig.

Given our stage show I'm suprised that it hasn't happened before. We'd also dressed the chap in question up in a badger suit and told him to go mental so we have to take some responsibility. In fact, if I hadn't been distracted by the delightful young lady in the front row who had just dropped her dungarees I might have seen the badger coming.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1370885064' post='2106898']
Given our stage show I'm suprised that it hasn't happened before. We'd also dressed the chap in question up in a badger suit and told him to go mental so we have to take some responsibility. In fact, if I hadn't been distracted by the delightful young lady in the front row who had just dropped her dungarees I might have seen the badger coming.
[/quote]

Good job you didn't dress him up as a beaver!