Why become a member? ×

Looper

ubassman

I have not yet (although I've just bought one & am just trying to get my head round it)

I once saw a lady who was playing a Cello through a Looper with effects on it.....it was absolutely amazing. She grabbed sound bites of her playing (Think of the orchestral stabs used in disco style music) and then played solo's over the top. once she had two layers of sound looped it was just fantastic.

I am looking for her on you tube, when I do I will post a link....I'm sure her name was Bella something grrrr my brain hurts

Edited by fumps

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1370340058' post='2099231']

Anyone ever used a looper to compose with? - they look like great fun! Just wondering if it ever gets a bit 'samey' as a layering process?

[/quote]

The best I've seen at it is Ed Alleyne-Johnson who combines it with a full pedal board.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31o4A5gSi3U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31o4A5gSi3U[/url]

Steve

PS I just realised that it's me behind the tree cutting names on my saw :)

*****Brain activates*****

Bella Emerson !!!!!

She is on You tube as well.....I'm hoping she translates well to YT as when she plays live she has so many layers I'm sure the mic wont pick up everything she is doing.

Check out Renaud Garcia Fons tiny desk concert on YouTube. I can't link it but I'm pretty sure there was some great looper action in that.

http://youtu.be/2ZNKLUHeJtg somewhere in here pretty sure, could be wrong though.

Edited by fatgoogle

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1370374478' post='2100009']
If you're thinking about multi-tracking an instrument, try all the other ones first before you resort to a bass, because the bass is the last instrument that is likely to work well.
[/quote]

I did try it with a mate's set up and I have to agree. You have to be really good in thumb position to be able to carry a melody or harmony over the top, even with electronic help, all I got was low end mush! Ed's violin is a five string (low C) and his bass lines are done with an octave pedal.

Steve

Not a looper but while we're mentioning multi tracking there's a cover of the Chili Peppers 'Can't Stop' on YouTube all on an upright, I think it's really cool.
Apologies if it's already been posted, using my phone so videos are showing up really slowly.

It's been in vogue for a little while now, ten years or so. Personally, I always cringe when I see a looper on someone's pedalboard (particularly acoustic guitarists) because you know you're going to get the same repeated riff for a whole song and no development...

Could be quite useful for practice, but call me old fashioned, I prefer playing with other people to playing with myself...