Why become a member? ×

Dulcimar ?

catsoupone

hey its got 4 strings.
same thing right ?

just wondering if any of you guys play a Dulcimer and if you could give me some advise about string guages
I tune it D A D D
and have only changed the strings once , the dude in the guitar shop sort of hazarded a gues , there cool guys but it s a marginally obscure instrument.
unless you dig Joni Mitchel
correct.
mmmmm Joni .
anyway , if anyone has any advise on this it would much apriecated : )

[quote name='catsoupone' timestamp='1370329099' post='2099063']
hey its got 4 strings.
same thing right ?

just wondering if any of you guys play a Dulcimer and if you could give me some advise about string guages
I tune it D A D D
and have only changed the strings once , the dude in the guitar shop sort of hazarded a gues , there cool guys but it s a marginally obscure instrument.
unless you dig Joni Mitchel
correct.
mmmmm Joni .
anyway , if anyone has any advise on this it would much apriecated : )
[/quote]

Give Nicky a buzz at Trad Music in Wakefield (01924 385000), he's a dulcimer player so I'd expect him to know...

DADD it usually is but you can mess about with it (DGDD for example). As far as gauges go it's a matter of personal choice. I use guitar strings from an 0.10 set so two top E's, the G and the D.

They're a fun instrument to play (as is it's cousin the Strumstick) and can cope with very complex, rocky arrangements as well as the twee Joni sound. I remember seeing Tim Hart playing an electric one complete with full pedal board!

Steve