Why become a member? ×

spector performance series 4

ahpook

I had one a few years ago. Nice recording bass, very even pickup output. Something bothered me about the neck, and I never figured out what, it just didn't feel right. Don't know if it was the profile or the radius or what. That said, I'd still pick up another one if I saw one for the right price. I only sold it because we had a baby...

Mine is the best feeling 4 string bass i've ever played. something about the way mine came from the factory, with REALLY low profile frets. i prefer it to my teachers fancy NS4 (which she just seems to leave in its case at home...) and if Spector had offered a 6 string when i switched last year, id have ordered one.

Not so thrilled with the new model tbh. i don't like the 'flatness' of the body. if it isnt curved and carved , dont use the NS body IMO. its a real letdown after the body on the USA series basses and felt very uncomfortable after the contours of the older version.

Its a solid passive bass. always sounds better with newer strings in my experience. through a powerful amp it has a lovely warm sound. i still use it on some songs in preference to my 6 string just because the sound is better for some of the mellow songs my band plays. less punch and roar. The independent tone controls are a real plus for variety. youl find you can get all sorts of sounds out of it!

If you can find one of the older models, my advice is go for that.

bottom line. try one and see what you think

Hope this helps.

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='212062' date='Jun 3 2008, 08:34 PM']Just had a look on Ebay. its the red stain one yes?

thats one of the older models with a few upgrades on it. my advice is go for it.[/quote]

yup, that's the one

oooh - i hate you :)

i have one or two festival dates this summer and i don't want to take any of my 'posh' basses...so it's either the bass i'm building or something like the spector...

[quote name='ahpook' post='212064' date='Jun 3 2008, 08:36 PM']yup, that's the one

oooh - i hate you :huh:

i have one or two festival dates this summer and i don't want to take any of my 'posh' basses...so it's either the bass i'm building or something like the spector...[/quote]

go on...you know you want it...did i mention its as tough as nails? :)