Why become a member? ×

Squier VM Jag Special (pj config) V's Squier P Bass Special (pj config)

Pembo

Chance to buy either of these basses (used), but wondering which is better. I'm assuming they are similair in tone with same PUP config. However, the Jag has active EQ, which concerns me in a live situation. Would rather not have to be overly conscious of installing new battery for each gig (be on the safe side), but if the tone is superior then it's a small burden to live with.
Thoughts?

Which has the better pickups ? Does one of them have a better quality wood body ? These things will make far more difference than the shape of the body. Links to the exact models would be useful.

If you are talking about this Jag .... [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-Bass-Special-Black/G7Y"]http://www.gear4musi...ecial-Black/G7Y[/url] then it's OK, but nothing more. I have owned and gigged one in the past. Felt and played nicely, but the tone was inherently nothing special at all, dull and thuddy. the only comparable Squier PJ precision I am aware of is the Affinity PJ, which I have not played. However, all it's components and body wood will be as cheap as chips. If you were going to buy on of them new, I'd far rather look around for a used MiM Fender or Yam BB or something like that for a similar price, which will sound noticably better.

Edited by hamfist

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1369812680' post='2092893']

If you are talking about this Jag .... [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-by-Fender-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-Bass-Special-Black/G7Y"]http://www.gear4musi...ecial-Black/G7Y[/url]
[/quote]

Yeah, that's the Jag, but in red. The Precision is not an affinity, it's this... [url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-standard-p-bass-special-satin-pewter-metallic/16028"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/squier-standard-p-bass-special-satin-pewter-metallic/16028[/url]

I'm after the p bass tone more specifically, but would like the jazz PUP to tweak with tone. Wondering which would give the more authentic sound and better build quality.

Nothing wrong with an active eq if it sounds good to you. You wouldn`t have to change the battery every gig if all is ok with the circut, use decent batterys and don`t leave the bass lead plugged in for long periods.

If you are looking for the P bass tone, get the P bass. As for build quality, you would need to check out each bass as Squier can be a bit hit and miss sometimes.

Gone off the Jag idea a bit and looking at a good Squier P or Yam BB, now. Only got about £200 max to play with (holiday next month...!). Currently watching a couple of BB414's on feebay, so hoping i can get a well looked after one for sub £200.

[quote name='Pembo' timestamp='1370088753' post='2096333']
Gone off the Jag idea a bit and looking at a good Squier P or Yam BB, now. Only got about £200 max to play with (holiday next month...!). Currently watching a couple of BB414's on feebay, so hoping i can get a well looked after one for sub £200.
[/quote]

I like the Yammy BB's but the P pickup on them is a bit "gentler" and "rounder" in tone than on a Fender P, and due to the size of them they are next to impossible to replace. So, IMO, the BB will not give you an exact Precision tone, although it is sort of close.
On the other hand a Yamaha RBX270 gives a spot on, cracking Precision punch. I have one as my main bass these days, and the J pickup on it is really very good too. The pickup and body wood upgrades over the RBX170 put the 270 in a different league.
I have tried more than one very expensive P pickup in the Yam and it is no improvement to my ears on the original. Thoroughly recommended. I think there's a new B-stock one on ebay at £199, although new they are only a bit over £200. Play one and you will be impressed.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1370160255' post='2096978']
I like the Yammy BB's but the P pickup on them is a bit "gentler" and "rounder" in tone than on a Fender P, and due to the size of them they are next to impossible to replace. So, IMO, the BB will not give you an exact Precision tone, although it is sort of close.
On the other hand a Yamaha RBX270 gives a spot on, cracking Precision punch. I have one as my main bass these days, and the J pickup on it is really very good too. The pickup and body wood upgrades over the RBX170 put the 270 in a different league.
I have tried more than one very expensive P pickup in the Yam and it is no improvement to my ears on the original. Thoroughly recommended. I think there's a new B-stock one on ebay at £199, although new they are only a bit over £200. Play one and you will be impressed.
[/quote]

Would you say the BB pickup has a lightly compressed tone compared to the p bass? If so, I think I would like that. I mainly play blues, folk, country/americana styles of music, so looking for that thud, without any growl as such. I'll have to try the RBX270, but i know I don't like the look of it aesthetically. I don't like bass's that are pointy looking and the 270 has pointy headstock and body leading to strap button.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1370176812' post='2097220']
I'd say the BB's sound "rounder", definitely with less growl than a good P bass. So might be right up your street. I guess it's coming down to small details here, and you need to try and compare some.
[/quote]
Sweet. Sounds like the BB would be for me. I'd prefer a tighter/rounded tone. I don't play any rock/metal/punk, etc, so if i did need a bit more growl/dirt at any time then i could dial some in with extra gain or a pedal, i guess.