Why become a member? ×

How do YOU make money playing bass?

AndyBob09

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1372198216' post='2122892']
You can get a bass and amp good enough to gig for £500. It's not an expensive hobby as hobbies go, and you certainly don't need to be wealthy or well-paid to do it.

[/quote]

Depends who you are really, as I'm 16 so to get £500 takes a while and working is not ideal as I have to study, but when I'm older and have a job that wouldn't be too bad I guess. It depends who you are.

You have to adopt a portfolio approach to work.

Playing gigs, teaching, writing, busking, sessions, running open mic's, producing, engineering, journalism.

It all helps, the key word is versatility.

If someone phones you and asks you to do a gig the following night then you need to be able to, this sort of thing is usually for sight-readers only, so learn to read music !

Cruise ship work is brilliant, you get paid to travel on a luxury ship to holiday places, again you need to be able to sight-read.

Get to know Logic and/or Protools.

'Gave up trying 25 years ago and now enjoy playing for my own amusement (a valuable but unanticipated benefit is that I no longer need to hang around with 'musicians'). Seriously, I think it's becoming extremely difficult to survive: low entry barriers; constant stream of new, enthusiastic, cheap and good players; diminishing audiences; venue closures; reduction of final income; increase in expenses. I met a few old mates a few months ago, still (excellent), big city pro players with 35+ years experience - they're really struggling with a depressing hand-to-mouth scene. I don't want to paint an entirely negative picture but it appears to be really tough unless you're happy to live on peanuts and dreams

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1372588777' post='2127408']
I don't want to paint an entirely negative picture but it appears to be really tough unless you're happy to live on peanuts and dreams
[/quote]

Don't all true artists suffer for their art and be unappreciated in their own lifetime? ;) :lol: