Why become a member? ×

NCD: Bergantino CN212

tonyf

I've had a long period of soul searching recently trying to make up my mind about a lightweight 2x12 cab. Whilst I love my EBS Proline 410, the size and weight is becoming a real liability with the increased gig diary I'm doing with the functions band I'm in. I started the slim down of the kit last year with the purchase of a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 which has been astonishingly good. Next up was a high-quality, lightweight cab.

A recent thread I started asked for opinions on the Genz Benz NX2-212T, the Barefaced Super 12T and the recently released Bergantino CN212. Lots of great discussion and loads of really useful opinions ensued.

Anyway, I zipped a couple of junctions down the M40 to see Mark at Bass Direct last Friday as he said he'd got both the GB and the Berg in stock so I could compare and contrast. Having already played and heard a couple of BF cabs, I knew how fantastic they'd have to be to sway me from choosing one of these. When I got to Bass Direct, Mark had already sold the GB cab so there was just the option of trying the Berg cab. I'd previously tried the HD212 on a previous visit but was interested to hear the difference between both.

I'd brought a couple of basses with me in my double gig bag so I pulled out one whilst Mark plugged in a Streamliner 900, connected the cab, gave me a lead and left me to it. From the first note, predictably I was absolutely blown away. So focused, so punchy, crisp, articulate but also very full across the range. Loud as fook too :D

Half an hour later I was driving back to Solihull trying to think of ways to tell Mrs F about the new hole in my finances.

As I've a gig this weekend, I wanted to try it out "in anger" so I took it to rehearsal. It was amazing to pack ALL of my gear in the boot of the car and keep the parcel shelf flat.

[attachment=135292:car.jpg]

Predictably, once I'd setup and played the first number, I turned round to see everyone looking at me with their jaws open. So many compliments on how good it sounded.

Can't wait for the next couple of gigs for it to loosen up. So chuffed already though, I'm so glad I've invested in this wonderful bit of kit.

[attachment=135294:944232_10152154708092923_2049413750_n.jpg][attachment=135295:431880_10152154708372923_161281338_n.jpg][attachment=135296:428107_10152154708242923_2028469424_n.jpg][attachment=135297:981029_10152154708687923_725651272_o.jpg]

Edited by tonyf

It sounds fantastic with the Streamliner.

When I tried out the HD212 a while ago at Bass Direct, I much preferred the detail and clarity of Shuttle although the warmth and roundness of the Streamliner was pretty fab too. Apparently Mark reckons that the CN is a little more detailed on the top end and this really helps open up the Streamliner. Makes sense.

I love the organic roundness and warmth of the Streamliner, the bit of girth when you dig in makes it feel really dynamic. The clarity of the Berg is brilliant for picking out this detail in the tone and I suddenly realised on Sunday night that there's nowhere to hide now :D

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1369217310' post='2086334']
It sounds fantastic with the Streamliner.

When I tried out the HD212 a while ago at Bass Direct, I much preferred the detail and clarity of Shuttle although the warmth and roundness of the Streamliner was pretty fab too. Apparently Mark reckons that the CN is a little more detailed on the top end and this really helps open up the Streamliner. Makes sense.

I love the organic roundness and warmth of the Streamliner, the bit of girth when you dig in makes it feel really dynamic. The clarity of the Berg is brilliant for picking out this detail in the tone and I suddenly realised on Sunday night that there's nowhere to hide now :D
[/quote]
Nice looking cab, the hd has more low mid girth which is too much of a good thing with the streamliner. I think the shuttle might sound a bit too bright and thin with the CN 212 for my liking, streamliner should be a really great match with the lows dialled back a touch.