Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Any Basschatters on the Isle of Wight who might help me with a tricky problem (please)?

bobpalt

Is there anyone on the lovely Isle of Wight, preferably around the Ryde area who may be able to help me out with a really tricky problem I have?

In a nutshell, I sent a bass to a fellow Basschatter back in September to have leds fitted, after he advertized his services on the forum. My cheque for the work was cashed, but after a brief exchange of correspondance, it all went very quiet. Eventually, I sent him a letter threatening legal action if my bass was not returned, and he then contacted me to say that it was nearly ready, just some laquering to do. That was 3 months ago, since when I have heard nothing, and none of my latest letters or messages are being answered.

I was advised to report it to the Police as a theft which I have done, but the Isle of Wight Police say I have to visit the address I have for this person to see if he still lives there but might have been having some kind of problem which has caused the work to be delayed, and also make my own enquiries elsewhere to see what the chaps current situation is. Only then, if I get nowhere will they become involved, and at that time will treat it as a proper crime and do their own investigations. Basically, its a civil matter until all lines of enquiry are exhausted.

I fully understand this, as its quite possible some personal tragedy may have happened in the guys life, but living in Gloucestershire, its going to be difficult for me to play the amateur detective! Can anyone please help who may know the chap (he is well know to the IOW bass fraternity I believe), or be able to check his whereabouts more easily than me? I would be really grateful for any assistance at all thanks, or even any ideas how I might do it myself.

I think the police just want to know it's stolen. It's not their problem if the work takes six months. It only becomes their problem if you can reasonably demonstrate that his intention was to relieve you of your property. It's doesn't sound like you can. I think they just want more info.

Just take a small claims action against him. A few quid to 192.com will check his address. That should sort it one way or another.

Oh... IANAL obviously

Edited by thepurpleblob