Why become a member? ×

Eight-String Advice...anyone?

EliasMooseblaster

I've moved, quite unexpectedly, into entirely new territory as of yesterday. I happened to be walking past a bass shop (licking the window as I went, of course), when my partner pointed out an 8-string bass in the window.

A quick tryout and a bit of haggling, and suddenly I was the owner of a Hagstrom HB-8. I'd only gone out to buy a new pair of jeans...

Still, I took it along to a rehearsal last night and had a play around. It's certainly good fun, even if the sound takes some getting used to! What I've been finding challenging is, unsurprisingly, simultaneously fretting a .100" E-string along with a .050" E-string. Does anyone have any useful advice on using one of these beautiful buggers?

My eight string is a dodgily converted precision copy, but I've found that the ready-made sets of strings are heavier than I'd like. I've got a .040 to .100" set on the low strings and my octave strings are .016, .025, .035 and .045" bought as singles. The slightly lowered tension makes things that bit more comfortable. I rarely take mine out on a gig, but it's great with some overdrive for a different texture when we record.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I can see that helping a bit - certainly it's quite tiring fighting against that much tension. The thing I've been finding tricky is fretting the two strings together, though - not so much on the D and G, but on the E and A, where the octave strings seem to get buried under the low ones. Or is that just one of those things I'll get used to with more practice?

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1366975189' post='2059678']
It's one of those things that you get used too with practice and I found that I had to change the way that I played certain songs. Great sound though, so it's worth it.
[/quote]

Agreed - I've been really enjoying mine. I don't use it on every song, but it really suits some of them. Just stick with it.
I also have my E strings tuned down to D, and it sounds HUGE!

Like this... (not actually me in the clip btw...)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bGhJlTkhSM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bGhJlTkhSM[/url]

Edited by Lenny B