Why become a member? ×

Behringer's Digital Amps

Phil Starr

Everyone is changing to switching(digital) amps with switch mode supplies including Behringer. They've had a poor reputation for reliability for some of their gear but their old PA, EP Series amps have proven to be very reliable. Some of their early digital stuff less so, though some forums put this down to poor connectors rather than the circuitry.

Has anyone any direct experience with any of their new amps? The iNuke, EPQ and EPX series amps?

It's early days but I've been running an EPQ900 for a few months (not class D but has SMPS). It seems sturdy and well put together. It blows air out of the left side which might be a problem in a rack case if run full tilt for long periods.

I had the opportunity to turn it up last weekend and the available clean volume is disappointing. It runs into output limiting (sounds more like clipping to me) at a lower volume than the Samson Servo 300 it replaced. It's supposedly 580W "RMS" bridged into an 8 ohm load but doesn't seem to have the same wallop as the Samson under the same conditions. The EPQ's level is set to maximum and I'm controlling volume with the preamp's output level control so I'm confident it's not input clipping.

I realised later I was running with my preamp's HPF switched off so will try again this weekend with the filter on. Maybe there's a lot of subsonic stuff driving it close to clipping. TBA.

Edited by dincz

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1366988395' post='2059992']
It's early days but I've been running an EPQ900 for a few months (not class D but has SMPS). It seems sturdy and well put together. It blows air out of the left side which might be a problem in a rack case if run full tilt for long periods.

I had the opportunity to turn it up last weekend and the available clean volume is disappointing. It runs into output limiting (sounds more like clipping to me) at a lower volume than the Samson Servo 300 it replaced. It's supposedly 580W "RMS" bridged into an 8 ohm load but doesn't seem to have the same wallop as the Samson under the same conditions. The EPQ's level is set to maximum and I'm controlling volume with the preamp's output level control so I'm confident it's not input clipping.

I realised later I was running with my preamp's HPF switched off so will try again this weekend with the filter on. Maybe there's a lot of subsonic stuff driving it close to clipping. TBA.
[/quote]

Be good to hear how you get on with trying that

[quote name='King Tut' timestamp='1367020538' post='2060481']
I bought an inuke power amp that packed up at a gig after a couple of months. Got a replacement and need to get over my nerves and start using it!
[/quote]

That's a shame, the iNuke was doing well up to then. Who did you deal with over a replacement? Any problems with getting it replaced/fixed?