Why become a member? ×

Lakland 55-01 or 55-02???

bubinga5

Hey people, im shortly to buy a new bass to keep my Jazz company. Im gasing for a Lakland 55-02 deluxe, but was curious to know what the difference is between this newer model and the 55-01. I know there is quite a price difference, but was wondering if the 55-01 was any lesser a bass.

Any thoughts.. :)

Both excellent basses. Both feel the same (other than where you can place your right hand due to pickup differences). If it were me I'd opt for the 55-01 and spend the difference putting Nordstrand pickups and a better preamp in it... Electronics seem to be the 55-01's only weakness, but that really is knit-picking to say that as the standard pickups are fine.

Have you considered a Joe Osborne 5? It's be my pick of the Lakland Skyline 5 strings I've played, although I haven't played the DJ model...

Edited by Bigwan

If you go onto the Lakland website they have loads of sound files for their basses to give you an idea of the noises you can get from each. I've had a JO5 and currently own a 55-02. The feel is very similar (and very nice) and I'm actually really surprised at what a good impression the 55-02 does of a jazz. Not so good at mimicking a Stingray (which I also have) though. The only downer with the JO5 was the weight; other than that it was an awesome bass. Laklands are just fab IMHO.

I spent some time doing an A/B on these. In the shop I preferred the sound of the 55/02 over the 55/01 - but I didn't prefer the price. IMHO spending a few quid on a decent pre-amp (I chose an Audere) makes the 55/01 sound better than the stock 55/02.

Hamster