Why become a member? ×

Bought A Used Squire Jazz - Output Very Low

Perry

I've found that cheaper basses can sometimes have stronger pickups/output. I've played a Farida that had stronger pickups than my jazz bass. If it's active, replace the battery. Change the strings, set the action, then set the pickup height. If it's still weak after that, bring it to a pro tech.

The output is so low that I can't get distortion at all on 100% (Fender Rumble 350 combo)

There is no sound till I turn the pot at the last 1/8 before max. This happens on both pick ups. The tone control does not make a difference to the sound at all.

I have raised the pups which made a slight improvement and fitted new strings which didn't make a difference.

I bought it from a shop by post, I won't mention them yet as I hope that they'll eventually return my calls or emails.

As Milty says it could be the battery if it's got active electrics. This can be flat on a new bass too.

Was this bass bought as new?
If so, I'd call the seller and ask them to deal with it before you get too deep into checking the wiring.

Try connecting it all and turn the gain/volume up and touch a metal object to the pup. Do you get a "click" noise as it touches?

[quote name='Perry' timestamp='1367252972' post='2063206']
There is no sound till I turn the pot at the last 1/8 before max. This happens on both pick ups. The tone control does not make a difference to the sound at all.
[/quote]

This sounds like you have the wrong kind of pots. Maybe not, but I had that problem before. Turns out I had linear pots, and I needed logarithm pots. It sorted it for me, but it could be another problem in your case. Check the wiring against a schematic, because somebody could have changed the pots at one point and it wasn't done right.

Edited by MiltyG565

The standard pots in my Standard Indonesian jazz were utterly lousy, as were the pickups. Output was ok but it had a really thin and tinny top end- with hindsight this could have probably been fixed by new pots and capacitor. Well worth doing, otherwise if you've got a good one they're on a par with pre '09 Fender MIMs IMHO

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1367254379' post='2063233']
This sounds like you have the wrong kind of pots. Maybe not, but I had that problem before. Turns out I had linear pots, and I needed logarithm pots. It sorted it for me, but it could be another problem in your case. Check the wiring against a schematic, because somebody could have changed the pots at one point and it wasn't done right.
[/quote]

+1 I think somebody has been fiddling about with the electrics. My old Indonesian standard Squier Jazz sounded great. You can buy set of pre wired pots with solderless connections from KiOgon on basschat like I did when I had a similar problem with another jazz I owned.. Takes about 10 mins to fit on the bass and no more problems. Cheaper than taking it to a tech.

This is his feedback thread. Nothing but happy customers. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/67544-feedback-for-kiogon/page__st__120__p__2060123__hl__kiogon__fromsearch__1#entry2060123"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry2060123[/url]

Edited by gjones