Why become a member? ×

Too much bass on J-Retro preamp?

badboy1984

My Fender Classic 60 jazz had a J-Retro installed very long time ago before John East stuff became very expensive. I liked it very much when i first had it installed. I haven't play my Jazz for absolute ages because i'm so use to my Precision bass (passive) sound and my AGC 5 string P/J.

I decide to play my Jazz bass in today and set everything flat on both the amp and the j-retro i find it the default tone is very bassy (in a good way) but i just couldn't get use to it, i even have to pull the bass down and boost the mid instead.

Anyone find it the J-Retro to be a very bassy preamp by default? or I just got use to boost the mid and like the mid now?

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1366654827' post='2055585'] My Fender Classic 60 jazz had a J-Retro installed very long time ago before John East stuff became very expensive. I liked it very much when i first had it installed. I haven't play my Jazz for absolute ages because i'm so use to my Precision bass (passive) sound and my AGC 5 string P/J. I decide to play my Jazz bass in today and set everything flat on both the amp and the j-retro i find it the default tone is very bassy (in a good way) but i just couldn't get use to it, i even have to pull the bass down and boost the mid instead. Anyone find it the J-Retro to be a very bassy preamp by default? or I just got use to boost the mid and like the mid now? [/quote]

I think the "flat" setting on the J Retro is slightly mid scooped. It can feel bass heavy I suppose depending on the pickups. I tend to use mostly only the bridge pickup, which is fine, but if you use the neck or both pickups on especially, I'd also want to add mids.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1366755191' post='2057065']
i use Dimarzio DP123 jazz pickup. They already a bassy pickup. I may want to change it to something else. I use to like bassy tone but now i like more mid tone ......
[/quote]

I like a lot the pickups that come on some CIJ Fender Jazzes (many 75RI models, for instance), made in USA ones. I forget the model number. They have a nice midrange content. I recently bought a second pair for £60 I think. Worth keeping an eye out for them, in my opinion.

I use to run the Dimarzio DP123 on the jazz bass passive (pre j-retro install). It was good because i like boomer tone at that time, then i install j-retro to give my boom and EQ control. Love the bass at that time but now i find it really bassy and boomer, still love the preamp but i think a pickup change might be way to go. Like you said i'm keeping my eye out on a fender jazz pickup.