Why become a member? ×

Simple Minds - saw them night before last.

Paul S

I'd always been fairly ambivalent about them - enjoyed some of their hits back in the day but never considered myself a fan or anything. Mrs S was always quite keen and we ended up getting tickets to see them locally (Cliff's Pavilion, Westcliff) the night before last.

They were superb. Jim Kerr is an absolute superstar, I never realised. He totally engaged with the crowd, had them in his hand from word go. It is a long time since I have seen an entire audience so captivated. And he looks, sounds and moves exactly as he did 25years ago? How does he do that? All in all the sound was excellent and they played their guts out for over 2 hrs.

Bassist was ok - about 9ft tall, I'd guess. Did his job. Interesting to see him use a pick for the slap bass bits - he still popped but no thumbs.

Just felt the urge to post!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1366373776' post='2051670']

Jim Kerr is an absolute superstar, I never realised. He totally engaged with the crowd, had them in his hand from word go. It is a long time since I have seen an entire audience so captivated. And he looks, sounds and moves exactly as he did 25years ago? How does he do that? All in all the sound was excellent and they played their guts out for over 2 hrs.

[/quote]I saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon in the mid 80s just before they went really big and played stadiums. From the moment the curtains opened Jim Kerr made an instant connection with the audience. A true showman who knows how to work a crowd without being 'cheesy'. Great band. I always wondered why they seemed to almost disappear whilst other bands of that era (notably U2) never did. Funny old business.