Why become a member? ×

Vol/vol or Vol/blend? Which is more useful?

ZenBasses

Toying with the the idea of upgrading my Shukers 2 band eq. Atm it's set up with a volume and a blend.

Issue with this is I can't have all of the P pickup with some of J.. Just a equal mix of them both at the mid dent.

Changing this to a volume volume configuration can solve this.

But is it really going to make a massive difference?

My theory is it will as I can have both pups running full volume and still take advantage of the eq...
But on the flip side would it interfere with balance / tone / phasing of the pickups.?

Any advice as always is very welcome

Ben

[color=black]I have both but I just find the sweet spot on each bass for the sound I want and they then stay pretty much the same from gig to gig. I might slightly alter the tone on the Lull or the bass on the Lakland or the master volume on the amp during the evening but everything else stays the same.[/color]
[color=black] [/color]
[color=black]So I guess volume and pickup balance control layouts pretty irrelevant to my playing style.[/color]

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1366225850' post='2049937']
Toying with the the idea of upgrading my Shukers 2 band eq. Atm it's set up with a volume and a blend.

Issue with this is I can't have all of the P pickup with some of J.. Just a equal mix of them both at the mid dent.
[/quote]

Are you sure about that?

Blend controls should work so the mid point is maximum volume for both pickups. As you move away from the centre, one pickup up fades out while the other remains at full volume.

There are different types of blend controls.

1. A normal "blend" pot Full Left - 100/0 Centre 50/50 Full Right 0/100

2. What you normally want, - they will be specified MN
Full Left - 100/0 Centre 100/100 Full Right 0/100

3. sometimes you see ones designed for musical instruments like this. the MN ones are prob better!
Full Left - 100/0 Centre 75/75 Full Right 0/100

The MN pot will let you have full control as you do with a V/V set up - the only down side to this is that yuo then have a second volume pot so this can alter the loading on the pups*.

*Depending on the set up with how it works with an active circuit.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1366228726' post='2049976']

Are you sure about that?

Blend controls should work so the mid point is maximum volume for both pickups. As you move away from the centre, one pickup up fades out while the other remains at full volume.
[/quote]

I guess it's just a perceived volume difference that I am hearing.. As I turn the blend from center dent towards the p pickup it's perceived as louder.

Judging by the above I think my setup is an equal 50/50 split at the mid dent

On my GB I don't get this effect...they are twin humbuckers

I haven't had PJ setup before so maybe it's a characteristic of these specific custom wound set. Ie the frequencies response.

Edited by ZenBasses